What is the best way to find triple roots in a 6x6 matrix?

• Thread starter Irid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanics problem involving a matrix with unknown roots, \Omega^2. The textbook suggests rearranging columns to show a triple root at \Omega^2 = 0, and reducing the matrix to a 3x3 for an easy determinant. The speaker is unsure how to find triple roots and asks for helpful properties, while also noting the matrix is symmetric. The expert responds by explaining how elementary row and column operations can be used without changing the determinant, and suggests using these operations to get a matrix in the form of all \Omega^2 values on the main diagonal.
Irid
I was solving a mechanics problem, and eventually obtained this matrix:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}
1-\Omega^2 & -1 & -1/2 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
-1 & 3/2 -\Omega^2 & 0 & 0 & -1/2 & 1/2\\
0 & -1/2 & 1/2-\Omega^2 & 0 & 1/2 & -1/2\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1-\Omega^2 & 0 & -1\\
0 & -1/2 & 1/2 & 0 & 1/2-\Omega^2 & -1/2\\
0 & 1/2 & -1/2 & -1 & -1/2 & 3/2-\Omega^2
\end{vmatrix} = 0
[/tex]

I must find the roots [tex]\Omega^2[/tex]. The textbook gives a hint that I should rearrange columns to show that there is a triple root [tex]\Omega^2 = 0[/tex], and then reduce the matrix to 3x3 and then the determinant is easy from there. I'm able to switch columns back and forth, but I don't know how to find any triple roots from that. I'm pretty new to matrices. Could you give me some useful properties or anything else that would be helpful?

Oh, and the matrix may be wrong, but not too much wrong, maybe just a few elements... Notice that it's symmetric.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the idea is to use elementary row and column operations to get a matrix of the form:
[tex]
\begin{vmatrix}
\Omega^2 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & \Omega^2 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & \Omega^2 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots
\end{vmatrix} = 0
[/tex]

Each time you interchange two rows or columns in a matrix, you change the determinant by a factor of -1. Each time you add a multiple of a row or column to another row or column, the determinant is unchanged.

In this case you can use either of these operations without affecting the result. (-1*0=0)

FAQ: What is the best way to find triple roots in a 6x6 matrix?

1. What is a secular equation?

A secular equation is a polynomial equation that is used to find the eigenvalues (or characteristic roots) of a matrix. It is commonly used in linear algebra and quantum mechanics to solve for the energies of a system.

2. What is a 6x6 matrix?

A 6x6 matrix is a matrix with 6 rows and 6 columns. It is a square matrix, meaning that the number of rows is equal to the number of columns. In the context of a secular equation, a 6x6 matrix would represent a system with 6 energy levels.

3. How is a secular equation solved?

A secular equation is solved by first finding the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. This polynomial is then factored to find the eigenvalues, which are the solutions to the secular equation. These eigenvalues can then be used to find the corresponding eigenvectors, which represent the states of the system.

4. What is the significance of a secular equation in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the secular equation is used to find the allowed energy levels of a system. This is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a quantum system, such as the behavior of particles in a potential well or the energies of an atom's orbitals.

5. Can a secular equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a secular equation can have multiple solutions, depending on the matrix and its corresponding characteristic polynomial. Each solution represents an energy level of the system, and these energy levels can be degenerate (meaning they have the same energy value) or non-degenerate (meaning they have different energy values).