Seeking a phase angle operator for the QHO

In summary, a phase angle operator is being sought for the quantum harmonic oscillator (QHO). This operator would allow for the calculation of the phase difference between two states of the QHO, providing valuable information about its behavior and dynamics. The search for this operator is an important step in understanding and manipulating the QHO, which has widespread applications in physics and engineering.
snoopies622
According to Daniel Gillespie in A Quantum Mechanics Primer (1970),

" . . . any observable which in classical mechanics is some well behaved function of position and momentum, f(x,p), is represented in quantum mechanics by the operator [itex] f ( \hat{x} , \hat {p} ) [/itex]. That is,

[tex]

a = f (x,p) . . . implies . . . \hat{a} = f ( \hat{x} , \hat {p} ) = f ( x , -i \hbar \frac {d}{dx}) ."

[/tex]

Apparently this works for finding the angular momentum operators, for example in classical mechanics

[tex]

L_z = xp_y - yp_x

[/tex]

and in quantum mechanics

[tex]

\hat{L}_z = \hat{x} \hat{p_y}- \hat{y} \hat{p_x} =

x(-i\hbar \frac {\partial}{\partial y}) - y(-i\hbar \frac {\partial}{\partial x} )= -i\hbar (x \frac {\partial}{\partial y} - y \frac {\partial}{\partial x})

[/tex]

Now I am wondering if this idea can be applied to the harmonic oscillator. Specifically, since phase angle

[tex]

\theta = arc tan ( \frac {p}{ x \sqrt {km} } )

[/tex]

(1) can I make a quantum phase angle operator by replacing the p and x above with their corresponding quantum operators?

and

(2) what are the phase angle eigenvalues for a QHO?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a bump and a follow-up:

Last night I worked out that for the classical harmonic oscillator, if we define

[itex]

N=H/ \hbar \omega

[/itex]

then the Poisson bracket between N and phase angle [itex] \theta [/itex] is [itex] 2 / \omega [/itex].

Is there any connection between this and the photon number - angle phase uncertainly relation?

Thanks AndresB, looks very interesting. Will try to take it in this weekend when I have a few free minutes.

FAQ: Seeking a phase angle operator for the QHO

1. What is a phase angle operator?

A phase angle operator is a mathematical operator that represents the relationship between the position and momentum of a quantum harmonic oscillator (QHO). It is used to calculate the phase angle between the position and momentum of the oscillator at a given point in time.

2. How is the phase angle operator related to the QHO?

The phase angle operator is a fundamental part of the mathematical description of the QHO. It is derived from the Hamiltonian operator, which governs the dynamics of the QHO, and is used to calculate the phase angle between the position and momentum of the oscillator at any point in time.

3. Why is finding a phase angle operator important?

Finding a phase angle operator is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of the QHO. It is also a crucial step in the development of more advanced quantum mechanical theories and applications.

4. How is a phase angle operator determined for a specific QHO system?

The phase angle operator is determined by solving the Schrodinger equation for the specific QHO system. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator, which can then be used to construct the phase angle operator.

5. Can the phase angle operator be applied to other quantum systems?

Yes, the concept of a phase angle operator can be applied to other quantum systems, such as the quantum harmonic oscillator in higher dimensions or other quantum mechanical systems. However, the specific form and properties of the phase angle operator may differ depending on the system being studied.