Question/Advice regarding multivariable calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to strengthen their understanding of multivariable calculus, with a focus on classical vector calculus and possibly differential forms. The recommended books are Hubbard/Shifrin/Fleming/Edwards, Munkres/Spivak/Apostol, and Wangsness' text for classical electrodynamics. The speaker dislikes Hubbard's book for being too verbose and prefers Munkres', Apostol's, and Fleming's books, but is unsure if they are the best for learning the subjects. The extra topics in Fleming's book are useful for later applications in mathematics and physics, but the speaker is unsure if they need to learn them now. The speaker also mentions the benefits of learning topology and Le
mr.tea
Hi,

I want to re-learn multivariable calculus, after I have learned it, not in the best possible way... and feel bad about it.

I have seen the recommendations here about Hubbard/Shifrin/Fleming/Edwards. I have also seen the books by Munkres/Spivak/Apostol.
I didn't really like Hubbard's book because it is way too verbose for me. I like(and think it is necessary) to read some motivation, but in my opinion it is too much.

From the books above, I like the most Munkres',Apostol's and Fleming's books. But I am not sure if those are "the right" books to learn the subjects from. Regarding Fleming's book, unfortunately it contains a lot of new things that I didn't learn, and I am not sure if I need to learn them or not, especially if more advance topics are based on those topics(mostly chapter 2, from section 2.6- topological spaces- onwards).

My primary goal is to strength my understanding in the "classical" vector calculus, and if time allows then go into differential forms.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A really good way to strengthen your "div, grad, curl, and all that" vector calculus would be to study an application which uses a lot of it, such as classical electrodynamics. Given your reaction to advanced calculus textbooks, I think you might like Wangsness' text.

The extra topics in Fleming come in very handy later on in both mathematics and physics.

Topology is useful for improving ones understanding of the mathematical structures used in both general relativity and quantum field theory, for example. The candidate theories for quantum gravity rely even more heavily on topological concepts.

Learning Lebesgue integration helps cement one's understanding of point-set topology, and also provides a better framework for thinking about integrating over general sets rather than simple intervals or curves.

That being said, given your attitude towards Hubbard, you'd probably prefer Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds for the coverage of differential forms, though Fleming's presentation is closer to Spivak than Hubbard, in my opinion. I think Fleming's text is probably a better value for someone in your situation.

The Bill said:
A really good way to strengthen your "div, grad, curl, and all that" vector calculus would be to study an application which uses a lot of it, such as classical electrodynamics. Given your reaction to advanced calculus textbooks, I think you might like Wangsness' text.

The extra topics in Fleming come in very handy later on in both mathematics and physics.

Topology is useful for improving ones understanding of the mathematical structures used in both general relativity and quantum field theory, for example. The candidate theories for quantum gravity rely even more heavily on topological concepts.

Learning Lebesgue integration helps cement one's understanding of point-set topology, and also provides a better framework for thinking about integrating over general sets rather than simple intervals or curves.

That being said, given your attitude towards Hubbard, you'd probably prefer Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds for the coverage of differential forms, though Fleming's presentation is closer to Spivak than Hubbard, in my opinion. I think Fleming's text is probably a better value for someone in your situation.

Thank you for the answer.

A problem with your first suggestion is that I am really bad at physics. I am a math major.

Another thing, when I asked about the sections in Fleming's book which I didn't learn and don't know if I should(right now), it's because I am not sure if the proofs in the rest of the book use those parts.

Thank you.

mr.tea said:
Another thing, when I asked about the sections in Fleming's book which I didn't learn and don't know if I should(right now), it's because I am not sure if the proofs in the rest of the book use those parts.

I would say that the sections on Euclidean spaces and topology are more practice for learning the style in which Fleming uses set theoretic expressions alongside his exposition. You should be able to easily get away with jumping straight to chapter 3 and using the first two chapters as reference material, and for extra problems when you want practice dealing with sets. If you run into notation that isn't defined in chapters 3+, you can flip through chapters 1-2 quickly to see where it's first used, and work through that example.

If you're familiar with set theory, and understand basic topological ideas from analysis like compactness, countable and finite covers, and such, you should be fine going straight to chapter 3.

Likes mr.tea
The Bill said:
I would say that the sections on Euclidean spaces and topology are more practice for learning the style in which Fleming uses set theoretic expressions alongside his exposition. You should be able to easily get away with jumping straight to chapter 3 and using the first two chapters as reference material, and for extra problems when you want practice dealing with sets. If you run into notation that isn't defined in chapters 3+, you can flip through chapters 1-2 quickly to see where it's first used, and work through that example.

If you're familiar with set theory, and understand basic topological ideas from analysis like compactness, countable and finite covers, and such, you should be fine going straight to chapter 3.

Thank you. I appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, to functions that depend on more than one independent variable.

2. Why is multivariable calculus important?

Multivariable calculus is important because it helps us understand and analyze real-world phenomena that involve multiple variables, such as motion, fluid flow, and optimization problems. It also provides the foundation for many advanced fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has numerous applications in various fields, including physics (e.g. calculating trajectories of objects in motion), engineering (e.g. designing structures that can withstand varying forces), economics (e.g. optimizing production and profit), and computer graphics (e.g. creating 3D images and animations).

4. What are some key concepts in multivariable calculus?

Some key concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector-valued functions, and gradient, divergence, and curl. These concepts allow us to understand how a function changes with respect to different variables and how to solve optimization problems in multiple dimensions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of multivariable calculus?

To improve your understanding of multivariable calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different types of functions and equations. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises. Engaging in group study or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.