Seesaw Mechanism: A Quantum Field Theory Study

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Seesaw mechanism and how to substitute in equation 21 for the N Eigenvalue from equation 20. There is confusion about whether ## \frac{m_D}{m^R} ## should be a factor of ## \nu_R ## or ## \nu_l^c ##, and the question is asked why it is said to be a factor of ## \nu_R ## when it is put as a factor of ## \nu_L^c ##. There is also some difficulty in understanding how equation 21 was obtained from equation 20, specifically regarding the substitution for ## \nu^c_L ##. It is mentioned that the subscripts in the equations are very small and difficult to read
Safinaz
Hi all,

I think it's just an Eigenvalue preoblem. I'm studying Seesaw mechanism from
http://www.quantumfieldtheory.info/TheSeesawMechanism

I don't get how he substituted in equ. 21 for N Eigenvalue from equ. 20, that ## \frac{m_D}{m^R} ## is a factor of ## \nu_R ## not ## \nu_l^c ## ? Any help ..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why do you say that it's a factor of [itex] \nu_R[/itex] ? he puts it as a factor of [itex] \nu_L [/itex].
Although I have to admit that your eyes should burn by reading that thing... the subscripts are very small...

Just how he did that ? I mean from equ. 20, ## \nu^c_L = \frac{m_D}{m^R} \nu_R ##, then what he did in 21 ? I think
## N = \nu^c_L + \nu_R ##, but if we substituted by 20, we won't get the equ. he had ..

1. What is the Seesaw Mechanism?

The Seesaw Mechanism is a theoretical framework in quantum field theory that seeks to explain the origin of the tiny masses of neutrinos, a type of fundamental particle. It proposes the existence of heavy, right-handed neutrinos that interact with the known, lighter left-handed neutrinos, resulting in the suppression of their masses.

2. What is the significance of studying the Seesaw Mechanism?

The Seesaw Mechanism is a crucial aspect of particle physics as it provides a possible explanation for the observed small masses of neutrinos. Understanding the mechanism can also shed light on other fundamental questions in physics, such as the origin of matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe.

3. How does the Seesaw Mechanism relate to other theories in quantum field theory?

The Seesaw Mechanism is a part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is the most widely accepted theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It is also related to other theories, such as the Grand Unified Theory, which attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature.

4. What are the current developments in the study of the Seesaw Mechanism?

There are ongoing experiments and theoretical studies that aim to test and further refine the Seesaw Mechanism. Some recent developments include the search for the elusive right-handed neutrinos at the Large Hadron Collider and the study of their potential role in the early universe.

5. Are there any potential implications of the Seesaw Mechanism in other fields of science?

While the Seesaw Mechanism is primarily studied in the context of particle physics, it can also have implications in other fields such as astrophysics and cosmology. For instance, the mechanism could play a role in the production of dark matter, which is a major mystery in astrophysics.