Self Education Help: Advice for Starting Over in Math

In summary: Community colleges offer a lot of excellent courses and are more like a big high school than a University, after you get the knowledge you missed being home schooled and feel ready, many Universities will accept credit transfers so that the courses you took will count toward your university degree, but even getting a Community College degree can get your foot in the door with many employers.
Envade
Hello,
I'm in a particularly difficult educational situation. I was "home-schooled" my whole life, and I essentially wasn't taught anything. I was allowed to do whatever work I wanted, whenever I wanted to do it. I never realized how important education is until I got out in the real world. I'm 19 years old and working a dead-end job at a factory I hate, and I'm feeling like this is where I'll be at my whole life unless I change things. I've recently got a desire to learn all the things I missed from school, and attempt to get into college.

I am wanting to start over from the very beginning of all subjects and re-learn EVERYTHING that I missed with a focus on Math. I feel incredibly overwhelmed by all this, and I don't even know where to begin. Was hoping someone might have some advice as to how to go about this.

Thanks so much for any help that can be offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
Envade said:
Hello,
I'm in a particularly difficult educational situation. I was "home-schooled" my whole life, and I essentially wasn't taught anything. I was allowed to do whatever work I wanted, whenever I wanted to do it. I never realized how important education is until I got out in the real world. I'm 19 years old and working a dead-end job at a factory I hate, and I'm feeling like this is where I'll be at my whole life unless I change things. I've recently got a desire to learn all the things I missed from school, and attempt to get into college.

I am wanting to start over from the very beginning of all subjects and re-learn EVERYTHING that I missed with a focus on Math. I feel incredibly overwhelmed by all this, and I don't even know where to begin. Was hoping someone might have some advice as to how to go about this.

You might want to start at a community college, they offer many excellent courses and are more like a big high school than a University, after you get the knowledge you missed being home schooled and feel ready, many Universities will accept credit transfers so that the courses you took will count toward your university degree, but even getting a Community College degree can get your foot in the door with many employers.

There are also a lot of what we at work refer to as "strip mall colleges", they are little known tiny "colleges", many of which are really located in strip malls, like next to a convenience store/gas station, one here took over a closed grocery store space. But you need to be careful with these, many are not accredited and the courses you take will not be accepted by real colleges and you'll have wasted your time and money. We'd have people sending in job applications showing degrees from these bogus "colleges" and they'd get thrown right into the trash.

Likes Student100
Many students who graduate from regular high schools in the US are not prepared for college-level courses, particularly mathematics courses. Community colleges often have refresher courses in mathematics, from plain-old arithmetic on up through algebra, trig, and precalculus. Community colleges are usually accredited, so you don't run into the problems that Evo mentions about "strip mall" colleges. Community colleges also have relatively small classes with lower tuition rates than four-year schools and universities. Be advised that some of the math classes I mentioned aren't considered college level courses, but they would get you to a point where you could successfully take college-level courses.

Likes Student100
Envade said:
Hello,

The community adult schools will help you. A community college is another alternative. They ALSO offer basic education.

Likes Student100
Where are you located? I agree with others that the public community college / tech school route is a great place to start. The prep courses offered there are often of very high quality. I am close with two different individuals that started out working towards an associates degree at a local public Tech school, then went on to complete a 4 year degree at one of the state's public universities. One works as an analyst for a fortune 500 insurance company, the other is a software engineer at a large software developer. Both had somewhat lackluster high school careers (the software engineer actually had to take summer school to graduate).

For self learning, you might consider the free courses offered on eDx, Yale open courseware, or Stanford open courses. Unfortunately they won't earn you credit, but they are self paced and risk free. You could buy an older edition of an appropriate textbook to read prior to watching the lecture videos. I completed MIT's Classical Mechanics Review on eDx and found it to be very high quality, challenging, and rewarding.

Last edited:

1. What is self-education and why is it important in math?

Self-education is the process of learning and acquiring knowledge on your own, without formal instruction. In math, self-education is important because it allows individuals to take control of their learning and progress at their own pace. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in mastering math concepts.

2. How can I start over in math if I have a weak foundation?

Starting over in math with a weak foundation can seem daunting, but it is possible with self-education. Begin by identifying the specific areas where you struggle and focus on building a strong understanding of those concepts. Utilize online resources, such as Khan Academy or YouTube tutorials, to reinforce your learning. Practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or mentor if needed.

3. What are some tips for staying motivated while self-educating in math?

Staying motivated while self-educating in math can be challenging, but here are some tips to help: set realistic goals, break down complex concepts into smaller, manageable parts, track your progress, and reward yourself for reaching milestones. Additionally, find a study buddy or join an online community to stay accountable and motivated.

4. How can I measure my progress while self-educating in math?

There are various ways to measure your progress in math while self-educating. You can take practice tests or quizzes, use online progress trackers, or create your own study guide and review it regularly. It's also helpful to seek feedback from a tutor or mentor to identify areas where you need to improve.

5. Is self-education in math suitable for everyone?

Yes, self-education in math is suitable for everyone. While some individuals may benefit from a traditional classroom setting, others may thrive with self-education. It ultimately depends on an individual's learning style and preferences. However, with dedication, determination, and the right resources, anyone can successfully self-educate in math.