Self-energies in position space

In summary, the propagator in quantum field theory is a mathematical tool used to understand the behavior of a field in space and time. Infinities and divergences that arise in its calculations are not physical and need to be renormalized. The massless pole in the propagator is related to the self-interaction of the field, but infinities can come from other sources as well. It is important to keep questioning and exploring in science.
RedX
According to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagator_(Quantum_Theory)#Feynman_propagator ) the propagator for the KG-field is:

[tex] \ \Delta_F(x,y)
\ = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^4} \int d^4p \, \frac{e^{-ip(x-y)}}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}
\ = \left \{ \begin{matrix} -\frac{1}{4 \pi} \delta(s) + \frac{m}{8 \pi \sqrt{s}} H_1^{(1)}(m \sqrt{s}) & \textrm{ if }\, s \geq 0 \\ -\frac{i m}{ 4 \pi^2 \sqrt{-s}} K_1(m \sqrt{-s}) & \textrm{if }\, s < 0. \end{matrix} \right [/tex]

where [tex]s:= (x^0 - y^0)^2 - (\vec{x} - \vec{y})^2. [/tex]

Since these are complicated functions, take the mass equal to zero, and using the properties of these functions for small arguments ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hankel_function#Asymptotic_forms ) you get:

[tex] \ \Delta_F(x-y) =

\left \{ \begin{matrix} -\frac{1}{4 \pi} \delta(s) - \frac{i}{4 \pi^2 s}} & \textrm{ if }\, s \geq 0 \\ -\frac{i }{ 4 \pi^2 (-s)} & \textrm{if }\, s < 0. \end{matrix} \right[/tex]

This expression seems perfectly finite except at s=0. In a phi4 theory, there is only one vertex for the next order correction to the propagator, so call the coordinate of this vertex z, and then you'll get:

[tex]\Delta(x-y)=\Delta_F(x-y)+C*\int d^4z \Delta_F(x-z) \Delta_F(z-z) \Delta_F(z-y)=\Delta_F(x-y)+C*\Delta_F(0)\int d^4z \Delta_F(x-z) \Delta_F(z-y) [/tex]

for a constant C proportional to the coupling (this expression can be gotten from the Feynman diagram, with a line going from x to z, z to z, and z to y). My question is what's going on with this integral:

[tex]\int d^4z \Delta_F(x-z) \Delta_F(z-y)[/tex]

Qualitatively when the value of z goes to x in the integral, it can do so from two different directions - from a space-like direction, or a time-like direction. If the latter, then a delta function will be picked up, in addition to an infinity term 1/s (i.e., 1/(x-z)2).

But the infinity term is harmless, because the integral is of the order d4z which is greater than the denominator which is of order z2.

So the only trouble is [tex]\Delta_F(0) [/tex], and that's taken care of by a counter-term [tex]-\frac{C\Delta_F(0)}{2} \phi^2 [/tex] in the Lagrangian (hopefully that minus sign is correct and there are no terms of i: does anyone have a good way of memorizing all those little factors of i and -1?).

Now take a phi3 theory, forgetting for the moment that for such a theory we can't find the vacuum state (but we take it in 6 dimensions for it to be renormalizeable). For the next order correction in the propagator, there are two vertices z and q. The propagator is:

[tex]\Delta(x-y)=\Delta_F(x-y)+C*\int d^6z d^6q \Delta_F(x-z) \Delta_F(z-q) \Delta_F(z-q) \Delta_F(y-q)=

\Delta_F(x-y)+C*\Delta_F(0) \int d^6z d^6q \Delta_F(x-z) \Delta_F(z-q) \Delta_F(y-q)

[/tex]

Again, the divergent [tex] \Delta_F(0)[/tex] term, but my question is now about the integral next to it:

[tex]\int d^6z d^6q \Delta_F(x-z) \Delta_F(z-q) \Delta_F(y-q) [/tex]

This looks convergent, even if both z goes to x and q goes to y simultaneously in the integral.

So far, in all these cases, the infinities come from a [tex] \Delta_F(0)[/tex] term, and not the integral term next to it. Is it true to say that infinities in quantum field theory come only from [tex] \Delta_F(0)[/tex] terms, which correspond to self-interactions? That is, integrals of products of delta functions converge (which to me is not so obvious - with something like [tex]\frac{d^4x}{x^2}[/tex] I'm worried about infinity more than 0), but it is an overall [tex] \Delta_F(0)[/tex] that causes all the trouble?

Also, all this analysis is based on m=0. Would the propagator be radically different if m was not set equal to zero?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I would like to address some of your questions and provide some insights on the propagator in quantum field theory.

First of all, it is important to note that the propagator is a mathematical object that helps us understand the behavior of a quantum field in space and time. It is not a physical quantity that can be directly measured. Therefore, any infinities or divergences that arise in the calculations of the propagator do not have a physical meaning and need to be removed through a process called renormalization.

In the case of the KG-field, the propagator is given by the expression you have mentioned from Wikipedia. As you correctly pointed out, for a massless field (m=0), the propagator is finite everywhere except at s=0. This singularity at s=0 is known as the massless pole and it is related to the self-interaction of the field. This means that at this point, the field is interacting with itself, leading to an infinite contribution in the calculations.

For a massive field (m≠0), the propagator is different and it includes a term involving the mass. This changes the behavior of the propagator and it is no longer finite at s=0. In fact, it now has a finite value at this point, which is related to the mass of the field.

Now, coming to your question about infinities in quantum field theory, it is not entirely true that they only come from self-interactions. In general, infinities can arise from various sources such as divergent integrals, infinite sums, or infinite terms in the Lagrangian. However, the self-interaction term (or \Delta_F(0) term) is a common source of infinities in quantum field theory calculations.

In summary, the propagator in quantum field theory is a powerful tool that helps us understand the behavior of a field in space and time. It is important to note that any infinities or divergences that arise in the calculations are not physical and need to be renormalized. The massless pole in the propagator is related to the self-interaction of the field, but infinities can arise from other sources as well. I hope this helps clarify some of your doubts. Keep exploring and questioning, that's what science is all about!

1. What are self-energies in position space?

Self-energies in position space refer to the mathematical representation of the energy of a physical system, such as a particle or a field, at a given position in space. It takes into account the interactions and contributions of the system itself, rather than just external forces or fields.

2. How are self-energies calculated in position space?

Self-energies are typically calculated using quantum field theory, which involves using mathematical equations to describe the behavior of particles and fields at the microscopic level. In position space, this involves integrating over all possible positions to determine the energy of the system at a given location.

3. What is the significance of self-energies in position space?

Self-energies play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of physical systems. They can help explain phenomena such as particle interactions, the stability of matter, and the behavior of quantum fields. They are also important in various fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

4. How do self-energies in position space differ from self-energies in momentum space?

In momentum space, self-energies are calculated by considering the energy of the system at different momentum values, rather than positions. This allows for a different perspective on the system and can reveal different properties and behaviors. However, the mathematical relationship between self-energies in position space and momentum space is well-defined and allows for the translation between the two representations.

5. Can self-energies in position space be measured or observed?

Self-energies in position space cannot be directly measured or observed, as they are a mathematical representation of a physical system. However, their effects can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations of the behavior of particles and fields. The calculations of self-energies in position space also provide important theoretical predictions that can be tested through experiments.