Self Resonant Freq of Spiral Inductor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
buzachaka
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Is there a model for determining the self resonant frequency of a flat spiral inductor? I can determine the inductance but the capacitance is escaping me.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one link to an invention that measures it. I would think you could just hit the inductor with a square wave and measure the results with a spectrum analyzer, would give the SRF directly. But here is the link:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7451415/description.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You could find the frequency at which resonance occurs, experimentally. If you already know the value of L then ω=√LC will give the you the capacitance.
But I guess you want to do this theoretically?
 
I would like to be able to determine the srf theoretically. The project requires the inductors to be printed on circuit boards and I need to know the parameters beforehand. Why can there be no easy answers.
 
He wants easy answers - my life. They are things you just can't always expect in engineering. Some things are 'just hard'.