Self study Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs?

In summary: So I would say go for it!In summary, if you are an entering high school senior, and you are considering whether to self study multivariable calculus or intro to proofs, I think you should do multivariate calculus first. You don't need to be good at proofs in order to understand first-semester linear algebra, but it does help.
EighthGrader
Hello. I was wondering if I should self study multivariable calculus or introduction to proofs?

I am an entering high school senior (contrary to what my username might suggest), and I just took a Calc 2 class last spring.

I can only do one or the other, and I don't know which one would be the best to spend my time on.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should do linear algebra first

I was thinking about that, but I heard LA deals with proofs and I don't know if I can handle that at this stage. I haven't been exposed to "proof-type" math yet so I was wondering maybe I can self study "Intro to Proofs".

And I can't take classes at a local university/CC anymore because we recently moved and I'm not in close proximity of such schools.

We don't have an intro to proof course at my college. People go from multivariate calculus right to real analysis, which is the first proof-based course for many people. I think many people find that they don't really need a whole course on proofs before being able to tackle the proofs in a class like analysis.

So I guess, based on that, I would take multivariate calculus first. You don't really need linear algebra to do multivariate calculus, but I think linear algebra helps you visualize things better.

You also don't need to be good at proofs in order to understand first-semester linear algebra. The ideas kind of build up by themselves.

So should I do linear algebra?

I don't think it really matters.

I think when you get to line integrals, vector fields, green's theorem, and just really, the whole vector section and lagrange multipliers, it helps, as in just another method, but no it isn't needed.

EighthGrader said:
So should I do linear algebra?

You don't have to do LA to pass Calc III, but you do need it if you actually want to understand what is going on.

1. What is the best way to approach self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs?

The best way to approach self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs is to first familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and principles. This can be done through textbooks, online resources, or video lectures. It is also important to practice solving problems and exercises to reinforce your understanding.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs will vary depending on your prior knowledge and understanding of the subject. It is recommended to set a schedule and dedicate a few hours each day to studying, as consistency is key in mastering these topics.

3. Are there any specific resources or materials that you recommend for self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs?

There are many resources and materials available for self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. It is important to find resources that cater to your learning style and provide clear explanations and examples.

4. How can I ensure that I am understanding the material correctly while self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs?

One way to ensure that you are understanding the material correctly is to actively engage with the material. This can involve taking notes, asking yourself questions, and attempting to solve problems on your own. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources or join a study group to discuss the material with others.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for effectively self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs?

Some tips and strategies for effectively self-studying Multivariable Calculus or Introduction to Proofs include breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, regularly reviewing and practicing problems, seeking help or clarification when needed, and staying motivated and focused on your goals.