How Can I Self-Study Basic Chemistry Effectively?

In summary: I would prefer something more like an online course.In summary, the individual is looking for advice on how to learn chemistry on their own and asks for suggestions for resources and advice. They mention that taking formal courses is not an option for them in the near future and ask for recommendations for an introductory course.
Lade
Hello,

As the title should have implied, I am looking into the possibility of learning some basic chemistry on my own. My background in the subject is minimal, consisting primarily of the very little I've had in the earlier high school grades -- and frankly, I have not the slightest of ideas on where to start.

I therefore come asking for directions, suggestions for study materials and texts, and so forth. I have (expectedly..) knowledge in some basic calculus and physics (alas, no thermodynamics) that would likely suffice for studies at this level. I should probably mention that taking any formal courses, in whatever, is very much not feasible for me in the near future.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about using MIT's open course ware (http://ocw.mit.edu/). They offer course materials (including some online lectures) for many classes, such as this introductory chemistry course (http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Chemistry/5-111Fall-2008/CourseHome/index.htm).

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this:
I should probably mention that taking any formal courses, in whatever, is very much not feasible for me in the near future.
?
Can you go to a community college to attend an introductory Chemistry class? Any reasonable learning at the beginning or introductory level needs laboratory activity.

I've also decided that I should probably learn some chemistry, being a major area of science and all. The only chemistry I've learned was from high school and I didn't learn anything. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, rigorous introduction? (like how spivak's calculus is an introduction to calculus). I don't want some massive 1000 page textbook with tons of color pictures and boring exercises.

Related to How Can I Self-Study Basic Chemistry Effectively?

1. What are the benefits of self-studying basic chemistry?

The main benefit of self-studying basic chemistry is the flexibility it offers. You can set your own pace and choose the topics you want to focus on. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the subject as you can spend more time on challenging topics.

2. How can I effectively self-study basic chemistry?

To effectively self-study basic chemistry, it is important to have a structure and plan in place. Start by familiarizing yourself with the fundamental concepts and then move on to more complex topics. Practice problems and utilize online resources such as videos and interactive simulations to supplement your learning.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge to self-study basic chemistry?

No prior knowledge is necessary to self-study basic chemistry. However, having a basic understanding of math and scientific notation can be helpful. It is also recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and some knowledge of the periodic table.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying basic chemistry?

Staying motivated while self-studying basic chemistry can be challenging at times. Setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, and finding study partners or study groups can help keep you motivated. Remember to also take breaks and have a healthy balance between studying and other activities.

5. Are there any resources available for self-studying basic chemistry?

Yes, there are many resources available for self-studying basic chemistry. These include online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and interactive simulations. You can also seek help from online forums or a tutor if you need additional support.