Self-Study Chem: Tips & Textbook Supplements

In summary, the conversation discusses self-studying general chemistry using a textbook and asks for suggestions on additional resources and effective studying methods. The advice given is to work through the problems and review the material after studying it thoroughly, possibly with a laboratory activity set. It is also mentioned that there may be some overlap with concepts and methods in beginning Calculus-based Physics, but not all will be the same.
Ethan Hummel
Hi, I know that Chemistry doesn't really pertain to math or physics but I guessed this was the best website that would suit my question. Haha. I was wanting to self study general chemistry using a textbook. I do have the textbook, but was wondering what I should supplement it with. Also I was wondering if anybody knows like a specific method of how I should study from a textbook ( like how should I take the notes, and should I leave out the little details.) Thank you for answering my questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemistry should be reviewed if desired AFTER you studied it for real. In this case, you could review on your own. You need a laboratory activity set to study sensibly the first time through on Introductory Chemistry or for General Chemistry. If you really want, you could try studying from a General Chemistry textbook and focus the same way you would if it were a beginning Calculus-based Physics course. Some of the concepts and methods overlap, but many do not overlap.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What are the benefits of self-study in chemistry?

Self-study in chemistry allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on specific topics or concepts that they may struggle with. It also promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as individuals are responsible for finding solutions on their own. Additionally, self-study can be more cost-effective than traditional classroom learning.

2. How can I make the most out of self-study in chemistry?

To make the most out of self-study in chemistry, it is important to have a structured study plan and set achievable goals. It is also helpful to have a dedicated study space, utilize various resources such as textbooks and online tutorials, and regularly review and practice concepts.

3. Are there any recommended textbook supplements for self-study in chemistry?

Yes, there are many textbook supplements available for self-study in chemistry. Some popular options include study guides, practice problems, and online resources such as interactive simulations and video tutorials. It is important to choose supplements that align with your learning style and cover the topics you are studying.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying chemistry?

Staying motivated while self-studying chemistry can be challenging, but it is important to remind yourself of the benefits and goals you have set. One way to stay motivated is to join a study group or find a study buddy, as this can provide support and accountability. It is also helpful to take breaks and reward yourself for meeting study goals.

5. Can self-study in chemistry replace traditional classroom learning?

Self-study in chemistry can be a valuable supplement to traditional classroom learning, but it is not a complete replacement. While self-study allows for flexibility and personalized learning, it may lack the interactive and collaborative elements that are beneficial in a classroom setting. It is important to find a balance between self-study and traditional learning methods for a well-rounded education.