Self-Study SR w/ Resnick & A.P. French: Is That OK?

In summary, the individual is self-studying special relativity using books by Resnick and A.P. French. They are unsure if these books are suitable and are asking for recommendations. The expert suggests using more recent books and recommends checking out Benjamin Crowell's introduction to SR on lightandmatter.com as a primary or supplementary reading to enhance their self-study.
Pushoam
I am self -studying SR with Books written by Resnick and A.P.French.

Is that o.k. or should I take some another book?

I am asking this because there are no. of books suggested on
P.F., but these suggestions don't include Resnick and A.P.French.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should strive to use the most recent books as our understanding changes over time. French is circa 1968 and Resnick is also 1968.

Have you looked at the books on http://www.lightandmatter.com by Benjamin Crowell?

He has a good introduction to SR that might fit your needs as a primary or supplementary reading. Multiple books make your self study more robust.

Likes Pushoam

1. What is "Self-Study SR w/ Resnick & A.P. French" and why is it important?

"Self-Study SR w/ Resnick & A.P. French" refers to the self-study of special relativity (SR) using the textbook "Introduction to Special Relativity" by David Resnick and Robert A.P. French. This is an important topic in physics as it explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and is essential for understanding many modern concepts in physics, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. Can I study special relativity on my own using this textbook?

Yes, the textbook "Introduction to Special Relativity" is designed for self-study and includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter to help reinforce your understanding of the material. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in calculus and mechanics before attempting to study special relativity on your own.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or background in physics to study special relativity?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of physics, particularly in mechanics and calculus, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge or background in order to study special relativity using this textbook. The material is presented in a clear and accessible manner for self-study.

4. How long does it take to complete the self-study of special relativity using this textbook?

The amount of time it takes to complete the self-study of special relativity using this textbook will vary depending on the individual's pace and level of understanding. However, it is recommended to spend a few hours each week on the material in order to fully grasp the concepts and complete the exercises and problems.

5. Are there any additional resources or materials that can help me with self-studying special relativity?

Yes, in addition to the textbook "Introduction to Special Relativity", there are many online resources and videos available that can supplement your self-study. It is also helpful to join online study groups or forums where you can ask questions and discuss the material with others who are also studying special relativity on their own.