Self-teaching myself some calculus

• Thread starter guss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about someone needing to teach themselves calculus before a course in Calculus II begins. They are looking for free online resources and have found Khan Academy, which has a complete Calculus section with 100 short videos in an appropriate learning order. The person also mentions additional resources such as documents on Scribd and practice problems on Khan Academy. They ask for a recommendation on whether to learn derivatives or integrals first, and it is suggested to learn differentiation first.
guss
Hello, I need to teach myself some calculus before a course in Calculus II begins this summer.

Here is what I need to teach myself:
-Derivates (chain rule, quotient, group, power, the six trigs)
-Antiderivatives
-Basic integration

I am already familiar with the definition of a derivative, finding limits, and finding asymptotes, so I can work from there. What would be the best way to go about learning this stuff? I would prefer free material online. I have looked for some videos on youtube but it is difficult to tell which ones I should do first, because there is always little bits of stuff in each video that I don't know.

Could someone leave me with some information or links and what order to learn this stuff in? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This site has a complete Calculus section of 100 short
10 minute videos. The sequence is in an appropriate order for learnng.
www.khanacademy.org

Some of the documents here may help you retain what you
learn at Khan. Note the 3 Calculus Documents
www.scribd.com/pfreda
The documents look much better when downloaded.

paulfr said:
www.khanacademy.org

Some of the documents here may help.
Note the 3 Calculus Documents
www.scribd.com/pfreda

I saw the khanacademy stuff on youtube and it looked good. Now that I have the site, I know what order to do it in. They have some good practice problems there too. So, this solves a lot of my problems, thanks.

Any other resources?

Definitely learn Differentiation first.

paulfr said:
Definitely learn Differentiation first.

Fantastic, thank you, now I know exactly what to do.

1. What is calculus and why is it important to self-teach?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, and it has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Self-teaching calculus allows one to have a deeper understanding of these concepts and their real-world applications.

2. Can I teach myself calculus even if I have no prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself calculus even if you have no prior experience. However, it may require more dedication and effort compared to someone who has taken a calculus course before.

3. What are some resources for self-teaching calculus?

There are many resources available for self-teaching calculus, such as online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and video lectures. It is important to find resources that work best for your learning style.

4. How long does it take to self-teach calculus?

The time it takes to self-teach calculus may vary depending on individual learning pace and dedication. It is recommended to dedicate at least a few months to thoroughly understand the concepts and practice problems.

5. Can I use self-taught calculus in my academic or professional career?

Yes, self-taught calculus can be useful in academic or professional settings. It can demonstrate a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many fields.