Self-Teaching Physics: Learn Concepts & Theories Without College

• Thread starter joychristiana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's love for physics and their desire to continue studying it but facing the obstacle of not having enough math requirements. They ask for recommendations on self-teaching materials and the importance of having a working knowledge of basic calculus. The conversation also mentions the use of a textbook and mastering the concepts before having the prerequisites for further studies. Lastly, the conversation suggests taking a placement exam or revisiting algebra and pre-calculus to have a better understanding of the math concepts needed for physics.
joychristiana
Hello to all!

Here is the deal... I took my first ever physics at my community college this past summer and just fell in love with it... The book we used was Paul G. Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. Ever since then, I catch myself reading up on different theories on the internet and I want to continue pursuing it. However, because of math requirements, I won't be able to take another physics class until at least I take pre-cal (currently working on it! Only one-two semesters away!). But I don't want to miss out on other concepts/ideas/theories that I can start getting familiar with... So what I want to know is if you can recommend me either some self-teaching books, or websites/lectures? I did read up on a couple of the similar questions from this forum from several years ago as well. I just want to gather as much resources and suggestions as possible.

Thank you all so much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The shortest and best answer I can give you: Self-Study math.

If you want to start self-study physics, there's no way around having a working knowledge of basic calculus. You're confined to the realm of pop-science until then.

I agree with Astrum's advice! You need more math to get further into the physics; math is the language of physics.

I would add that while you don't have the math needed to proceed much further in physics, you can review your conceptual textbook and get the concepts down. Honestly, the ''calculus'' used in the intro series is so minimal that you would get a better grade if you just understood the physical concepts than if you just knew how to do the math. It's mostly algebra, with a few tidbits of calculus and vector concepts thrown in, nothing to be scared of.

I would just focus on the concepts contained within your textbook and try to master it until you have the prerequisites for the intro series, and you will be way ahead of the game if you understand the concepts down cold, the math will follow easily.

Test into calculus? There is a placement exam

epislon58 said:
Test into calculus? There is a placement exam

Might as well redo the algebra if you can spare a semester/quarter, it won't hurt. This is of course assuming they've already taken the placement exam once, if not I'd still recommended pre-calc if you're at all fuzzy about algebra/trig. It will make your life easier.

Related to Self-Teaching Physics: Learn Concepts & Theories Without College

1. What is self-teaching physics?

Self-teaching physics is the process of learning concepts and theories in physics without traditional classroom instruction. It involves using resources such as textbooks, online courses, and practice problems to teach oneself the fundamentals of physics.

2. Is it possible to learn physics without a college degree?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics without a college degree. With the abundance of resources available online and in books, anyone can teach themselves the basics of physics and even advanced topics.

3. What are the benefits of self-teaching physics?

Self-teaching physics allows for a flexible learning experience, as one can study at their own pace and focus on topics that interest them the most. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the subject material, as the individual is actively engaging with the material rather than passively listening to lectures.

4. How can I ensure that I am learning correctly without a teacher?

To ensure that you are learning correctly, it is important to use reliable and reputable resources, such as textbooks written by experts and online courses from reputable institutions. It is also helpful to regularly test your understanding through practice problems and seek out feedback from other self-taught individuals or mentors.

5. Can self-taught physics lead to a career in the field?

While a formal education in physics is typically required for many career paths in the field, self-teaching physics can still provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills that can be valuable in various industries. Additionally, there are opportunities to gain experience and further education through internships and online courses specifically designed for career development.