1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semi-circle cross section volume

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

base of a solid is bounded by y=[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], the x-axis, and x=9. each cross-section perpendicular to the x-axis is a semi-circle. find the volume of the solid

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the answer to be 81[itex]\pi[/itex]/16 by the following steps:
    A(semicircle)=0.5pir^2=(pi/8)*d^2 (d=diameter), and d=y=sqrt(x), so A=(pi/8)*x
    integrate (pi/8)*x from 0 to 9 (pi*9^2 /16), I get the answer as 81pi/16

BUT the answer provided by my book is 81pi/8, did I miss something? I'm so confused and please help.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with you. Maybe we are both missing something, but I can't think what it might be.

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with you both.

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4
    i guess the answer on my book is wrong then. I really cant think of any other ways

6. Jun 16, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The book solution apparently calculated the volume assuming the cross section was a circle instead of a semi-circle.

7. Jun 16, 2011 #6
    ya, that's what I think too. The thing is, my book's never wrong before (for several times I doubted its answers and it turned out it's always correct), and this is the last question for the last unit. Hopefully it's just a decoy this time hehe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook