Semi Empirical Mass Formula and Neutron Stars

city2113
Homework Statement
Using the liquid drop model but adding a term for gravity to apply it to a neutron star, with only a large number of neutrons, rewrite the binding energy equation for this case
Relevant Equations
Semi Empirical Mass Formula: B(A,Z) = avA - asA^(2/3)-aa(A-2Z)^2/A+ap(delta/A^(1/2))
Gravity Term to add: (3/5)((G/ro)A^2*mn^2)/A^(-1/3)
Sorry, the equations are messy. I already know the answer to the actual homework problem, but I don't really know why certain terms are neglected.
I know that the equation will only include the volume term, symmetry term and the extra added gravity term. I just want to understand why

I know that the coulomb term is ignored because if you have only neutrons, there is no charge to consider.
I also know that the surface term and the pairing term become negligible at very large N values, but I don't know why.

Could someone explain why the surface and pairing terms get neglected in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @city2113 and welcome to PF.

I don’t understand enough to know why the pairing term becomes negligible. But see if this helps with the surface term...

The volume term depends on the total number of nucleons and the number of (very short range strong nuclear force) interactions of each nucleon with its neighbours.

The surface term is simply a correction to the volume term to allow for the fact that surface nucleons have fewer neighbours than the internal nucleons.

Suppose there are ##A## nucleons and ##f## is the fraction of the nucleons which are at the surface.

What do you think happens to ##f## as ##A## gets big?

Ohh ok, so as the number of nucleons (A) gets bigger, the fraction of nucleons on the surface would be smaller compared to the total number of nucleons. Once A becomes really bug the effect of the ones on the surface having fewer neighbors becomes so small that it's negligible because there are far more in the middle.

Thank you, that helps a lot!

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is the Semi Empirical Mass Formula?

The Semi Empirical Mass Formula is a formula used in nuclear physics to predict the binding energy of atomic nuclei. It takes into account the number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus, as well as various coefficients that are experimentally determined.

2. How is the Semi Empirical Mass Formula used in relation to neutron stars?

The Semi Empirical Mass Formula can be used to calculate the maximum mass of a neutron star. By plugging in the appropriate values for the number of protons and neutrons in a neutron star, the formula can predict the maximum mass that a neutron star can have before collapsing into a black hole.

3. What are the key assumptions of the Semi Empirical Mass Formula?

Some key assumptions of the Semi Empirical Mass Formula include the neglect of the nuclear shell structure and the assumption that the binding energy of a nucleus is a sum of terms that depend on the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

4. How accurate is the Semi Empirical Mass Formula in predicting the properties of neutron stars?

While the Semi Empirical Mass Formula provides a good approximation for the properties of neutron stars, it is not perfect. There are other factors, such as the equation of state of nuclear matter, that can affect the maximum mass of a neutron star.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Semi Empirical Mass Formula for neutron stars?

One limitation of using the Semi Empirical Mass Formula for neutron stars is that it does not take into account the effects of general relativity. In extreme conditions, such as those found in neutron stars, general relativity can play a significant role in determining the properties of the star.