1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semi-major axis equation question

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi there, this isn't a homework question but I need some help with this equation since I'm not the best at mathematics. I would like to rearrange this equation so I can solve for "a"

2. Relevant equations

9k6xk0.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, start by squaring both sides. That will get rid of the square root. How bad at mathematics are you?

4. Jul 4, 2013 #3
    Im really bad at it!

5. Jul 4, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good to know. What happens if you try squaring both sides? Do your worst.

6. Jul 4, 2013 #5
    so you're saying

f9nsit.gif

7. Jul 4, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's pretty bad. You forgot to square the ##2 \pi##. And if you square a square root then you eliminate the square root. ##(\sqrt{x})^2=x##. Try and fix it up a little.

8. Jul 4, 2013 #7
    Ok then, another attempt.

2w4cwf8.gif

9. Jul 4, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Closer. Just write ##(2 \pi)^2## instead of ##2 \pi^2##. They mean different things don't they? I hope you know that much? The next step is to move everything except for ##a^3## to the left side of the equation. Know ANY algebra?

10. Jul 4, 2013 #9
    Well considering I haven't taken a math course since high school which was about 8 years ago so I'm a little rusty as you can tell. But it's starting to come back to me somewhat. So should this be the final solution then?

2lsblw4.jpg

edit it should be (2pi)squared like u said

11. Jul 4, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's right. Glad you got it if you write (2pi)^2. I didn't think you were going to make it for a while. Keep reviewing the algebra. It's not that hard and you need to know it.

12. Jul 4, 2013 #11
    OK, thanks for you're help!

13. Jul 4, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. Um, it's 'your help' not 'you're help' if you want to do grammar too. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted