Semi-major axis equation question

• Thread starter eXmag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary, the student was trying to solve an equation for "a" but got lost and needed help from the expert. The expert helped them fix it up and then they were able to solve it.
eXmag

Homework Statement

Hi there, this isn't a homework question but I need some help with this equation since I'm not the best at mathematics. I would like to rearrange this equation so I can solve for "a"

Homework Equations

9k6xk0.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
eXmag said:

Homework Statement

Hi there, this isn't a homework question but I need some help with this equation since I'm not the best at mathematics. I would like to rearrange this equation so I can solve for "a"

Homework Equations

9k6xk0.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Well, start by squaring both sides. That will get rid of the square root. How bad at mathematics are you?

Im really bad at it!

eXmag said:
Im really bad at it!

Good to know. What happens if you try squaring both sides? Do your worst.

so you're saying

f9nsit.gif

eXmag said:
so you're saying

f9nsit.gif

That's pretty bad. You forgot to square the ##2 \pi##. And if you square a square root then you eliminate the square root. ##(\sqrt{x})^2=x##. Try and fix it up a little.

Ok then, another attempt.

2w4cwf8.gif

eXmag said:
Ok then, another attempt.

2w4cwf8.gif

Closer. Just write ##(2 \pi)^2## instead of ##2 \pi^2##. They mean different things don't they? I hope you know that much? The next step is to move everything except for ##a^3## to the left side of the equation. Know ANY algebra?

Well considering I haven't taken a math course since high school which was about 8 years ago so I'm a little rusty as you can tell. But it's starting to come back to me somewhat. So should this be the final solution then?

2lsblw4.jpg

edit it should be (2pi)squared like u said

eXmag said:
Well considering I haven't taken a math course since high school which was about 8 years ago so I'm a little rusty as you can tell. But it's starting to come back to me somewhat. So should this be the final solution then?

2lsblw4.jpg

edit it should be (2pi)squared like u said

Yes, that's right. Glad you got it if you write (2pi)^2. I didn't think you were going to make it for a while. Keep reviewing the algebra. It's not that hard and you need to know it.

OK, thanks for you're help!

eXmag said:
OK, thanks for you're help!

You're welcome. Um, it's 'your help' not 'you're help' if you want to do grammar too. :)

1. What is the semi-major axis equation?

The semi-major axis equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the average distance between an orbiting body and the center of its orbit. It is represented as "a" and is one of the six orbital elements used to describe the shape and size of an orbit.

2. How is the semi-major axis equation derived?

The semi-major axis equation is derived from Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis length. This relationship allows for the calculation of the semi-major axis using the orbital period and the gravitational constant of the central body.

3. What units are used in the semi-major axis equation?

The semi-major axis equation uses units of distance, typically in meters or kilometers. However, it is important to note that the units used may vary depending on the specific application and the units used for the gravitational constant.

4. How is the semi-major axis equation used in orbital mechanics?

The semi-major axis equation is used in orbital mechanics to determine the shape and size of an orbit. It is one of the key parameters used to describe the trajectory of an orbiting body, along with the eccentricity, inclination, and other orbital elements. It is also used to calculate the orbital period and determine the position of an orbiting body at any given time.

5. Can the semi-major axis equation be used for all types of orbits?

Yes, the semi-major axis equation can be used for all types of orbits, including elliptical, circular, and parabolic orbits. However, it may not be as useful for highly eccentric or hyperbolic orbits, as these may require additional calculations or a different set of orbital elements to accurately describe their shape and size.