1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semicircular Line Charge Electric Field

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See figure attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The question I have is with regards to, [itex]dE_{x}. dE_{y}, dE_{z}, dE_{h}[/itex].

First,

[itex]dE_{z} = dEcos \alpha \quad \text{(form of z component of spherical coordinates)} [/itex]

[itex]dE_{x} = -dE_{h}cos\phi = -dEcos\phi sin\alpha \quad \text{(form of x component of spherical coordinates)} [/itex]

[itex]dE_{y} = -dE_{h}sin\phi = -dEsin\phi sin\alpha \quad \text{(form of y component of spherical coordinates)} [/itex]

Is there something to take away from this? He does this problem as a line integral in each direction respectively, but can I do it in one line integral? If so, how would I set that up?

Edit:

Here's my attempt at it. (See 2nd figure attached)

I didn't end up getting to the actual answer in the textbook, but it appears as though I'm pretty close. The answer they give is,

[itex]\frac{p_{l}a}{2 \epsilon_{0}(z^{2} + a^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} \left( \frac{-a}{\pi}\hat{i} + \frac{z}{2} \hat{j} \right)[/itex]

My y-component disapeers as it is supposed to, and if I pull out a factor of, [itex]2\pi[/itex] from my vector, I get part of the form we're looking for in the answer. My x-component is missing a factor of a, and my z-component a factor a z and I have a root(2) sitting in the denominator.

So the final answer I obtained, trying to get it as close to theirs as possible,

[itex]\frac{p_{l}a}{2\sqrt{2} \epsilon_{0}(a^{2} + z^{2})} (\frac{-\hat{i}}{\pi} + \frac{\hat{j}}{2})[/itex]

I don't know if I am totally wrong, or if I just screwed up one portion of the problem.

Any ideas? Does anyone see any problems?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
    Bump, still looking for some help!

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    You are on the right track, but I would have written down separate expressions for Ex and Ez. You have the magnitude right but not the right parts. See the attached.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook