Understanding the Hall Effect in Semiconductors

In summary, there are 4 questions in the assignment that do not require calculations. The first question involves explaining the fabrication and structure of a photoconductor, which was found to be equivalent to an LDR. The second question asks about the response of electrons and holes to voltage and magnetic fields in a typical Hall experiment, with some confusion about the term "diffusion". The third question is unknown, as it involves comparing band diagrams of quantum dots and wells. The fourth question is also unknown, and may require further assistance from someone else.
prescott2006

Homework Statement

There are 4 questions in the assignment. None of them need calculation. The questions is as attached below.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think the "photoconductivity" is a typo, should be replaced with "photoconductor". From Wiki, I found that photoconductor=LDR, so I just explain the fabrication and structure of LDR.
2. I explain the electrons and holes response when voltage and magnetic field are applied as in typical Hall experiment. I not sure whether I achieve the question request or not since it state there "diffusion". What does "What is the significant of RH?" request me to explain?
4. I have no idea with this one, since I cannot found band diagram of quantum dot and well and put them as comparison. Perhaps somebody can help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
prescott2006 said:

Homework Statement

There are 4 questions in the assignment. None of them need calculation. The questions is as attached below.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think the "photoconductivity" is a typo, should be replaced with "photoconductor". From Wiki, I found that photoconductor=LDR, so I just explain the fabrication and structure of LDR.
2. I explain the electrons and holes response when voltage and magnetic field are applied as in typical Hall experiment. I not sure whether I achieve the question request or not since it state there "diffusion". What does "What is the significant of RH?" request me to explain?
4. I have no idea with this one, since I cannot found band diagram of quantum dot and well and put them as comparison. Perhaps somebody can help.

I'm no help on #4, but I think you did the right thing on #1.

On #2, I don't really know what they are asking about in terms of "diffusion" either, but maybe it's a language issue? Is this translated from somewhere? The wikipedia entry does not use that term either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect

but it does have a good discussion of Rh and how it can be used.

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. It is characterized by its ability to conduct electricity under certain conditions, but not as well as a metal. Common examples of semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide.

2. What is the role of semiconductors in technology?

Semiconductors are essential components in modern technology. They are used in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions to control the flow of electricity and perform logic operations. They are also used in solar cells to convert sunlight into electricity and in transistors to amplify and switch electronic signals.

3. What is the band gap in semiconductors?

The band gap in semiconductors refers to the energy difference between the valence band (where electrons are held tightly by atoms) and the conduction band (where electrons are free to move and conduct electricity). This band gap determines the conductivity of the material and can be manipulated through doping to create different types of semiconductors with specific properties.

4. What is the process of doping in semiconductors?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a semiconductor to alter its electrical properties. This is done by introducing atoms of a different element into the crystal lattice of the semiconductor. This changes the number of electrons or holes (missing electrons) in the material, thus affecting its conductivity and allowing for the creation of specialized semiconductors for specific applications.

5. What are some current research areas in semiconductors?

Current research in semiconductors focuses on improving their performance and efficiency in electronic devices, as well as developing new materials with unique properties. Some specific research areas include nanotechnology, which explores the properties of semiconductor materials at the nanoscale, and alternative materials, such as organic semiconductors, which have potential for use in flexible and wearable electronics. Additionally, research is being conducted on new applications for semiconductors, such as in energy storage and conversion devices.