Seminar about applying to graduate school - tips?

In summary, this person is proposing a one-hour seminar every year (or semester) to tell people interested in graduate school about the following:The importance of doing research in the department during the semester (we only have 3-4 professors who work with students, so probably a list of who does what)Summer research opportunities (REUs, DOE-funded national lab internships)the physics GRE (including the book Conquering the Physics GRE and the free CWRU flashcards)fellowships (NSF, DOE, Hertz) and scholarships (Goldwater).He was wondering if any of you might have other ideas of what to include in the seminar.
Dishsoap
Here's a long shot...

I go to a very small school with only ~8 graduates per year. Of those 8, 4 or 5 will apply to graduate school, and every year only 1 or so will be accepted.

I'm preparing to approach the chair of the department to propose a one-hour seminar every year (or semester) to tell everyone interested in graduate school about the following:

• The importance of doing research in the department during the semester (we only have 3-4 professors who work with students, so probably a list of who does what)
  • Summer research opportunities (REUs, DOE-funded national lab internships)
  • the physics GRE (including the book Conquering the Physics GRE and the free CWRU flashcards)
  • fellowships (NSF, DOE, Hertz) and scholarships (Goldwater)
I was wondering if any of you might have other ideas of what to include in this seminar. Once I got into grad school this past month, I have received plenty of advice from professors about how to prepare myself, so I'm not looking to focus on information about this, but just the application process. The past 4 years, I never once heard professors talk about summer opportunities, the physics GRE (in fact, many people have to take a gap year since they didn't know it was a thing), or scholarships/fellowships (in fact, they told me I couldn't apply for the Goldwater as a sophomore). I want to get the information out there.

Once I learned about these things and began to apply, I was fully supported by the department, but for some reason there is no communication that these opportunities even exist, hence the seminar.

Also, I'm wondering if there is any data out there for how doing summer internship opportunities corresponds to graduate school acceptances.

Thanks so much for your advice! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Something that has helped me quite a bit (I'd imagine it would be more helpful to grad students) is the American Physical Society. Maybe at the seminar they could cover different societies such as APS, SPS, or the AIP, all of which congregates tons of useful information.

Ask them to read my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay?

I know! I have no shame!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Ask them to read my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay?

I know! I have no shame!

Zz.

That's hilarious, because I actually have it printed out and was thinking of distributing copies... Way ahead of you :)

1. What is the purpose of attending a seminar about applying to graduate school?

The purpose of attending a seminar about applying to graduate school is to gain valuable insights and tips on the application process, as well as learn about the expectations and requirements of graduate programs.

2. Who should attend a seminar about applying to graduate school?

Anyone who is considering applying to graduate school or is currently in the process of applying should attend a seminar. This includes undergraduate students, recent graduates, and professionals looking to further their education.

3. What topics are typically covered in a seminar about applying to graduate school?

Topics that are typically covered in a seminar about applying to graduate school include the application timeline, choosing the right program, crafting a strong personal statement, obtaining letters of recommendation, and preparing for interviews.

4. How can attending a seminar help with my graduate school application?

Attending a seminar can provide you with valuable information and resources to help you navigate the application process more effectively. You can also have the opportunity to ask questions and receive personalized tips and advice from experts in the field.

5. Is attending a seminar about applying to graduate school worth my time?

Yes, attending a seminar about applying to graduate school can be extremely beneficial in increasing your chances of being accepted into a graduate program. It can also save you time and stress by providing you with valuable insights and tips on the application process.