Is there a semipermeable membrane for oxygen enrichment?

• A
  • Thread starter Steven Ellet
  • Start date
In summary, a semipermeable membrane is a type of membrane that selectively allows certain substances to pass through while preventing the passage of others. It works by having small pores or channels that only allow specific molecules or ions to pass through. Some examples include cell membranes and reverse osmosis membranes. The terms semipermeable membrane and selectively permeable membrane are often used interchangeably, but some scientists consider semipermeable membranes to have a higher selectivity. These membranes are commonly used in scientific research for studying osmosis and diffusion, filtration and separation processes, and medical applications such as drug delivery systems and artificial organs.
Steven Ellet
I am looking for a semipermeable membrane that let's oxygen through but not co2, I don't care about other gases. I am aware of gas permeable/ water impermeable membrane-This is not what I am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Search Google for oxygen enrichment membrane

1. What is a semipermeable membrane?

A semipermeable membrane is a type of membrane that allows certain substances to pass through while preventing the passage of others. It is also known as a selectively permeable membrane.

2. How does a semipermeable membrane work?

A semipermeable membrane works by having very small pores or channels that only allow certain molecules or ions to pass through. The size and charge of the molecules determine whether they can pass through or not.

3. What are some examples of semipermeable membranes?

Some examples of semipermeable membranes include cell membranes, which allow certain nutrients and waste products to enter and leave the cell, and reverse osmosis membranes, which are used in water filtration systems to remove impurities.

4. What is the difference between a semipermeable membrane and a selectively permeable membrane?

The terms semipermeable membrane and selectively permeable membrane are often used interchangeably. However, some scientists consider semipermeable membranes to have a higher selectivity, meaning they only allow very specific substances to pass through, while selectively permeable membranes may have a broader range of permeability.

5. How are semipermeable membranes used in scientific research?

Semipermeable membranes are commonly used in scientific research to study osmosis and diffusion, as well as in various filtration and separation processes. They are also used in medical applications, such as drug delivery systems and artificial organs.