Senior year before grad school: what classes to take?

In summary: I was in undergrad.That makes sense. I would also recommend taking the computational course. You'll need to be able to use computers to do physics calculations, and this will give you more tools for that.
winstonboy
Hi, I have one year of undergraduate classes left. I am trying to figure out how best to prepare for my applications to an AMO physics program (hopefully highly competitive).

My first question is: how much importance can one class have? Maybe I am stressing too much about trying to make myself a "perfect applicant."

My second question is meatier. I cannot decide between taking graduate level electrodynamics, graduate QFT (which I wanted to take the most, but might be the least applicable to my future), or undergraduate computational physics or statistical mechanics.

For a little background, I've completed a year long graduate quantum mechanics sequence as well as a lot of miscellaneous undergraduate courses. I have never taken a stat mech or comp phys course, and am wondering if that would knock me back a little in terms of preparedness (or apparent preparedness...).

I can provide any extra information and thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
winstonboy said:
I am trying to figure out how best to prepare for my applications to an AMO physics program

They will only be able to look at your first semester. Keep that in mind.

winstonboy said:
My second question is meatier. I cannot decide between taking graduate level electrodynamics, graduate QFT (which I wanted to take the most, but might be the least applicable to my future), or undergraduate computational physics or statistical mechanics.

For a little background, I've completed a year long graduate quantum mechanics sequence as well as a lot of miscellaneous undergraduate courses. I have never taken a stat mech or comp phys course, and am wondering if that would knock me back a little in terms of preparedness (or apparent preparedness...).
<<Emphasis added>> Thermodynamics and stat mech are typical core courses in most undergrad and grad physics programs. I'm surprised you're able to graduate without any stat mech. At any rate, if you're going on to a grad physics program, you should take undergrad stat mech.

Likes Wminus and Dr. Courtney
I agree, definitely take thermo/stat mech. You'll definitely need it on the physics GRE, and likely for graduate school.

Likes Dr. Courtney
CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added>> Thermodynamics and stat mech are typical core courses in most undergrad and grad physics programs. I'm surprised you're able to graduate without any stat mech. At any rate, if you're going on to a grad physics program, you should take undergrad stat mech.

Let me clarify. I've taken a thermo course that had some aspects of stat mech, but I haven't taken the standalone stat mech course. I'm wondering if the one course is enough or if I should take the dedicated stat mech course. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's offered in the first semester, there's only a "mathematical tools for physicists" which would be redundant given my advanced math background.

Thank you for the replies, however. I'm now considering trying to find a more applicable course. On applications, is there a way to indicate you will have taken a course (such as stat mech, in my case) by graduation, even if you're not currently enrolled?

I concur with the others that you should take statistical mechanics. It seems strange to me that you can graduate without taking statistical mechanics.

When I was in college, statistical mechanics was a core course, and thermodynamics was an elective. I took both. While some aspects of stat mech came up in the thermo course, thermo wouldn't have been a replacement for stat mech. Maybe the courses as your school differ markedly from the norm, so I suggest you talk to the professors there about your plans.

I'll break down how I make a choice: Of the four choices, which am I the most likely not going to read up, and study on in my free time? If you're interested in QFT, you'll have no issue motivating yourself to study it on your own time. Graduate E+M is probably a required course at any graduate school, and unless your graduate school allows you to skip taking the course by taking an exam, I see no reason why you'd take it early. Sometimes slower is better.

Now we're left between stat mech and computational physics. The four core classes required for qualifying exams usually are: Stat mech, Quantum mech, classical mech, and E+M. It might be helpful to have stat mech before seeing it at the graduate level, but I didn't, and I did fine. The other question you have to ask is, do you have any programming experience? If you have none, then take the computational physics course. Even if you have a little, take the computational physics course.

I'd suggest to take the computational course. This will expand the number of tools you'll have in order to tackle problems. Stat mech is just a branch of physics at the end of the day, and you'll have to learn it anyway in most graduate programs. I know I wish I knew more computational techniques, and that I had more practice being efficient when modeling problems! I can't say that I wish I knew more stat mech.

(I'm assuming a computational course will teach you techniques to solve problems numerically in either a programming language, or in an algebraic package like matlab/wolfram)

Good luck!

1. What classes should I take during my senior year before starting grad school?

The classes you should take during your senior year before grad school will vary depending on your intended field of study and the requirements of the graduate program you plan to attend. It is important to carefully review the curriculum and prerequisites for the graduate program and choose classes that will help you meet those requirements.

2. Should I take classes related to my intended graduate program or take more general courses?

This will depend on your individual goals and the requirements of your graduate program. If you feel confident in your knowledge of the subject matter for your intended graduate program, you may want to take more general courses to broaden your skill set. If you feel you need more preparation in a specific area, it may be beneficial to take courses directly related to your intended field of study.

3. Is it important to maintain a high GPA during my senior year?

While a high GPA is always desirable, it is not the only factor that graduate programs consider. Your senior year GPA may hold more weight if it reflects your performance in courses directly related to your intended graduate program. However, other factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and test scores will also play a role in the admissions process.

4. Should I take more challenging courses or focus on maintaining a balanced schedule?

It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and maintaining a manageable workload. Taking on too many difficult courses may negatively impact your grades and overall well-being. It is important to prioritize your mental and physical health while pursuing your academic goals.

5. Are there any courses that are highly recommended for students planning to attend grad school?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as it will depend on your intended field of study and the requirements of your graduate program. However, some courses that may be beneficial for graduate school preparation include research methods, statistics, and upper-level courses in your intended field of study. It is best to consult with your academic advisor for personalized recommendations.