Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separability of vibrational and rotational motion for diatomics

1. Dec 22, 2013 #1
    I'd like some help justifying the approximation that the vibrational and rotational motion of a diatomic molecule is separable.
    For two atoms of masses m1 and m2 the full hamiltonian is
    [itex]H=-\hbar ^2 /2m_1 \nabla _1 ^2 - \hbar^2 /2m_2 \nabla _2 ^2 + V(r-r_0)[/itex]
    Where V(r-r0) is the potential energy function, r0 is the equilibrium bond length and r is the atomic separation [itex]r=|\textbf{x} _1- \textbf{x} _2|[/itex]. This is seperable into a centre of mass hamiltonian and one in terms of the reduced mass, in the molecular frame. The hamiltonian in the molecular frame is
    [itex]H_\mu = -\hbar ^2 /2\mu \nabla ^2 - V(|\textbf{x}|-r_0)[/itex]
    From this point, I'm not sure how to show that the hamiltonian is approximately separable. I tried writing it in terms of the equilibrium displacement [itex]x=r-r_0[/itex] and then by saying in the approximation that [itex]x>>r_0 , x/r_0 \approx 0 [/itex] so in the hamiltonian [itex] r^2=r_0^2(1+x/r_0)^2\approx r_0^2[/itex] but since [itex]r=x+r_0[/itex] is a variable and not a constant of motion, this seems like a dodgy approximation. Any help would be valued greatly!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2013 #2
    I would try to split the last term into two terms.

4. Dec 22, 2013 #3
    This hamiltonian commutes with J^2 so it is separable into an angular part (the spherical harmonics) and an equation in r. The equation will only in general be solvable for j=0, if it is something like a harmonic potential or a morse potential. So the only way to get the rotational energy out is to throw use first order perturbation theory. So the rotational energy is a first order perturbation or vibrational energy?

5. Jan 3, 2014 #4
    Throw away the mathematics for 5 seconds and ask yourself what are the relative transition energies. This is the same reason that we can typically decouple vibrational and electronic transitions through the Born-Oppenheimer approx. Of course there can be ro-vibrational coupling in the same way that B-O fails at conical intersections, but for the most part the two transitions are at such different energy scales that they have low coupling strengths.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook