Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separation Church & State in Office

1. Yes, enough with catering to the religious.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. No, it would be unconstitutional.

21 vote(s)
    80.8%
  1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    Ideally, should we only allow athiest to hold public office? This way assuring the seperation of church and state? (I was going to use the poll option but it doesn't seem to be working).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2
    Re: Seperation Church & State in Office

Come on drankin, what a pointless comment :rolleyes:

At least put some though behind a post.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

The idea behind the separation of Church and State is to prevent the establishment of a government sponsored religion. If we allow only atheist to run for office, we basically have established a government sponsored religion: atheism. Catch 22.

5. Dec 6, 2008 #4

This question could have gone in the other thread, though.

You're obviously stretching and misinterpreting the idea. The idea is not to allow your religion or religious convictions to influences your decisions, but, instead, your commitment to the constitution. Some founders saw no problem with this, such as Jefferson who thought there should be a wall between government and religion.

Just as an atheist shouldn't try and destroy religion, so too should religious people not enforce their particular religions on others. Read the constitution and our laws and see what's in there, and govern according to those principles, and the principles of freedom and liberty and the right to privacy etc..

It sickened me when Bush, Ashcroft and co., believed that god is on our side, and then that General Boykin who said our god is bigger than their god. Perhaps Bush should have studied some International Relations in college instead of drinking and whatever else he was doing, particularly the writings of the great conservative realist Hans J. Morgenthau, who said this:

Hans J. Morgenthau, Six Principles of Political Realism.

Even when it comes to international affairs, one doesn't need to speak about "crusades" etc.

6. Dec 6, 2008 #5

Atheism is not a religion, but the first part of your post was accurate.

7. Dec 6, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't post the same thing twice. Threads merged.

8. Dec 6, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No wonder I was having trouble merging threads, you were in there.

9. Dec 6, 2008 #8

I did. I want a get a pulse on where peoples convictions are. I think it is impossible for a devout religous person to hold office and not let his religous idealology influence decision makinig. Particularly on social issues.

10. Dec 6, 2008 #9

Really? Even on issues like Abortion and Stem Cell Research.......... I don't think so Tim.

11. Dec 6, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course we should only allow atheists to hold public office. Or else, we can just call ourselves a theocracy.

12. Dec 6, 2008 #11

Yes, any issue. And my names not Tim(?).

13. Dec 6, 2008 #12

russ_watters

You misunderstand the meaning of "separation of church and state"/the 1st Amendment. It is not intended to force policymakers to ignore their religious convictions when passing laws.

14. Dec 6, 2008 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Atheism satisfies one of the definitions of the word, and shares the qualities relevant to the topic of the thread.

15. Dec 6, 2008 #14

Doc Al

What definition would that be?

16. Dec 6, 2008 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Merriam-Webster, definition 4:
    a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith​

17. Dec 6, 2008 #16

Doc Al

Talk about equivocation! Using that definition, lots of things having nothing to do with the usual meaning of religion (god talk and supernatural stuff) will be "religions".

18. Dec 6, 2008 #17

I understand the meaning completely but I believe some of our friends here take the word "separation" to mean complete exclusion.

19. Dec 6, 2008 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, but irrelevant, since the principle to which atheism adheres with ardor and faith does relate to "god talk and supernatural stuff".

20. Dec 6, 2008 #19

Doc Al

So "not collecting stamps" is a hobby after all! :rolleyes:

21. Dec 6, 2008 #20

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I'm always up for a game of semantics, I have to question the purpose -- are you asserting that state-sponsored atheism is not a violation of separation of church and state? (If not, I'll reply in PM so as not to derail the thread)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?