Separation of Variables for Partial Differential Equations

In summary: How do you know that there isn’t a more general solution? Couldn’t it be possible that some solution of the form v(x)g(t) exists, but is not the most general form?Or in other words, how do you know if sepetation or variables has worked, and has provided a general solution that is actually unique?In summary, the separation of variable for partial differential equations is just an archaic and misleading way of writing the solution, which is actually achieved by exploiting linearity of the equation.
FAS1998
When using the separation of variable for partial differential equations, we assume the solution takes the form u(x,t) = v(x)*g(t).

What is the justification for this?

Likes Stephen Tashi
Physics news on Phys.org
it works...and it can be shown that the solutions are mathematically rigorous.

Likes FAS1998
in PDE "separation of variable" is just an archaic and misleading look. Actually we expand a solution in a basis of eigenfunctions of linear differential operator that is related to equation

Last edited:
Likes FAS1998
Dr Transport said:
it works...and it can be shown that the solutions are mathematically rigorous.
I understand that it works in the sense that the solutions it finds are consistent with the differential equations, but how do we know that the solutions couldn’t be more general?

Couldn’t solutions of u(x,t) exist that are not of the form v(x)*g(t)?

Or can all functions of u(x,t) be written as v(x)*g(t)?

FAS1998 said:
I understand that it works in the sense that the solutions it finds are consistent with the differential equations, but how do we know that the solutions couldn’t be more general?

Couldn’t solutions of u(x,t) exist that are not of the form v(x)*g(t)?

Or can all functions of u(x,t) be written as v(x)*g(t)?

For linear equations, you can write them in the form [itex] u(x,t) = v(x)g(t) [/itex]. For non-linear equations that may not be the form of the solution.

Likes FAS1998
Dr Transport said:
For linear equations, you can write them in the form [itex] u(x,t) = v(x)g(t) [/itex]. For non-linear equations that may not be the form of the solution.
So the solution of all linear PDE’s take the form u(x,t) = v(x)g(t)?

Is there a proof or explanation for this somewhere? My textbook doesn’t explain this very thoroughly.

Last edited:
Most books that I have on this topic do not give any explanation. An exception is Morse and Feshback, Methods of Theoretical Physics, part I.
Later, it was found that (Lie) symmetries play a large role in determining separable coordinate systems, Willard Miller has written a book about it (which is still on my to-read list).
There is some 'further reading' here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SeparationofVariables.html

FAS1998 said:
No, certainly not.

The idea is that you try to find a solution in this form. If it works, you've found a solution. If it doesn't, you need to try other methods. Usually it doesn't work, but it's worth a try. Here's a similar situation. Say I'm trying to find the square root of 169. It's obviously greater than 10, and less than 20. So I try 11x11=121, 12x12=144, 13x13=169... hey guess what? 13 works! So I've found the solution through a simple method. If I'm trying to find the square root of 170, obviously this method won't work, so i need to try more advanced methods

Likes FAS1998
FAS1998 said:

Is there a proof or explanation for this somewhere? My textbook doesn’t explain this very thoroughly.
Maybe this is contrived, but if u(x,t) is the pdf of a joint distribution where x,t, are not independent, then the equation will not separate.

FAS1998 said:

One you have that form u(x,t) = v(x)g(t) and you found the forms of v(x) and g(t) from their ODEs (and possibly some of the boundary and initial conditions),
you then exploit the linearity of the PDE to write the general solution as a linear combination of the v(x)g(t)'s.

phyzguy said:
No, certainly not.

The idea is that you try to find a solution in this form. If it works, you've found a solution. If it doesn't, you need to try other methods. Usually it doesn't work, but it's worth a try. Here's a similar situation. Say I'm trying to find the square root of 169. It's obviously greater than 10, and less than 20. So I try 11x11=121, 12x12=144, 13x13=169... hey guess what? 13 works! So I've found the solution through a simple method. If I'm trying to find the square root of 170, obviously this method won't work, so i need to try more advanced methods
How do you know that there isn’t a more general solution? Couldn’t it be possible that some solution of the form v(x)g(t) exists, but is not the most general form?

Or in other words, how do you know if sepetation or variables has worked, and has provided a general solution?

FAS1998 said:
How do you know that there isn’t a more general solution? Couldn’t it be possible that some solution of the form v(x)g(t) exists, but is not the most general form?

Or in other words, how do you know if sepetation or variables has worked, and has provided a general solution?

For most PDEs where you are applying the method of separation of variables, there is a proof of uniqueness. So it you have found a solution, you have found the solution.

Likes FAS1998
I was thinking about this also. An answer is the one they have given to you: for some PDE (with some boundary conditions), the solution is unique. For example, see Zeidler volume 108.

As a consequence, if a naive separation of variables work, then you expand a general solution with this "basis", and if you can find coefficients in this general solution that satisfies your boundary conditions, that is the solution.

I have looked into the literature, and I have been unable to find general statements, by reading some new books on PDE. For example, it would be "natural" that for some type of PDE, one could guarantee that the separation of variables "basis" generates all solutions of the PDE. But it seems that it is not easy (or even possible) to do this kind of statements.

Of course, the variable-separated solution looks way too constrained. But then you use linearity of the PDE and it turns out that often these solutions form a complete basis of your solution space! Hence any solution can be written in this basis. It is just a matter of finding the right coefficients. And from linear algebra you know how to calculate those.

If it works, that is. E. g. if you take the Schrodinger eqn. with time-dependant potential, the party is spoiled.

##u(x,t)\,=\, v(x)\cdot g(t)## is also a "sort" of factorization assumption ...
Ssnow

FAS1998 said:

Uniqueness theorems: If you find a solution, by whatever ad hoc non-a-priori-justified method, then it must be the solution.

Likes haushofer
You keep writing as if you think "u(x)v(t)" is all there is. No one has said that! What is the situation is that the general solution can be written as linear combinations of all the different "u(x)v(t)" forms. In applications that leads to generalized "Fourier series" (over finite intervals) and "Fourier transforms" (over infinite intervals).

When using the separation of variable for partial differential equations, we assume the solution takes the form u(x,t) = v(x)*g(t).

What is the justification for this?
This bothered me when I was an undergraduate studying separation of variables for partial differential equations. About a month ago, a much younger co-worker and college asked me to justify why we can calculate the gravitational field with partial differential equation. He is in the middle of his undergraduate education and the only technique he reported knowing for computing the field was direct integration using mass points and Newtons law or Gausses law (if he applied it to gravitation). His actual question involved why a collection of point masses each contributing an inverse square law could ever generate an inverse cube law in the field.
Luckily of both of us, there was a interruption that gave both of us some time. I allowed myself the luxury of thinking long and hard about the question offered. When we came back to the office, after I brought up the point dipole, he eagerly demonstrated he knew how to compute the electrical potential (and later the field).
Clearly the electric dipole had generated an inverse cube term in the field. I alluded to the similarity with gravity and he was happy with this. (I later instructed him that the relationship was not entirely similar as the weakening of the field is due also to the screening with unlike charges, but the point was made.)

I find most books and educators concentrate on "proofs" and applications and not on justifications. The example above does not "prove" anything but it justifies analysis with differential equations as an alternative to integrals. (Actually Gausses law can also be used in differential form.) After this long winded prelude, I found in a similar manner, the potential due to a square quadrupole of electric charge lying in a plane. The answer is "something like" (I do not have my notes in front of me)

V = ( A / r to the cube ) * cosine ( theta ) * sin ( 2. phi ).

I apologize with my notes gone this is probably wrong but the salient points are valid. The solution for the potential is a function of r times a function of theta times a function of phi.

Now back to the textbook. One example does not "prove" anything, but wouldn't this example placed before the section (presentation) of separation of variables " suggest " or justify or at least motivate this ansatz.

I think a textbook demonstrating justifications and motivations for physics techniques would be well received if it were written. I think these are very rare. Maybe other readers can follow on

1. What is separation of variables for partial differential equations?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by breaking them down into simpler, ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that can be solved algebraically. It involves assuming that the solution to the PDE can be written as a product of functions of each variable, and then using this assumption to find the individual functions.

2. When is separation of variables applicable for solving PDEs?

Separation of variables is applicable for solving PDEs that have boundary conditions that are separable, meaning they can be written as a product of functions of each variable. It is also applicable for PDEs that are linear and homogeneous.

3. What are the steps involved in using separation of variables to solve a PDE?

The steps involved in using separation of variables to solve a PDE are:

1. Assume the solution can be written as a product of functions of each variable.
  2. Substitute this assumed solution into the PDE.
  3. Separate the variables and rearrange the equation to get a set of ODEs.
  4. Solve the ODEs using standard techniques.
  5. Combine the solutions to get the final solution to the PDE.

4. What are the advantages of using separation of variables to solve PDEs?

Separation of variables is a powerful method for solving PDEs because it simplifies the problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable ODEs. This allows for the use of well-known techniques for solving ODEs, making the process more straightforward and efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables for solving PDEs. It can only be applied to certain types of PDEs, and even for those, it may not always produce a solution. Additionally, it may not be applicable for PDEs with non-constant coefficients or non-separable boundary conditions.