Proving Convergence and Finding Limit of Recursive Sequence

In summary: So the sequence is bounded and monotonically increasing, therefore it converges. To find the limit, we can solve for x in the equation x=\sqrt{3+x}, which gives us the solutions x=1+sqrt{13}/2 and x=1-sqrt{13}/2. Since the sequence is increasing, it must converge to the larger solution, x=1+sqrt{13}/2. Therefore, in summary, the given sequence converges to the limit of (1+sqrt{13})/2.
Caeder
Given the following sequence:

[tex]x_0 = 1, \quad x_1 = \sqrt{3+1}, \quad x_2 = \sqrt{3+\sqrt{4}}, \quad x_3 = \sqrt{3+\sqrt{5}},[/tex]
[tex]x_4 = \sqrt{3+\sqrt{3+\sqrt{5}}}, \quad x_5 = \sqrt{3+\sqrt{3+\sqrt{3+\sqrt{5}}}} \ldots[/tex]

prove the above sequence converges and determine the limit.

So from [tex]n=3[/tex] onwards, I notice that the sequence is recursively defined:

[tex]n \geq 4,\;x_n = \sqrt {3 + x_{n - 1} }[/tex]

To prove convergence, I'd stimply have to show sequence is bounded above and that it's increasing.

I'm not quite sure how to do this with a recursive function.

To find the limit, I realized that

[tex]x_n = \sqrt {3 + x_{n - 1} }[/tex] is at it's "equilibrium point" when [tex]x = 3 + \sqrt{x}[/tex]. I solved for [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and found the limit to be:

[tex]\frac{1\pm\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]. I then see that we go towards:

[tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]

So I know the limit will be the above if the sequence converges.

Any help on the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
what you call "equilibrium point"?

al-mahed said:
what you call "equilibrium point"?

Stable point..

i'm not sure what a stable or equilibrium point is. You can show the sequence is bounded and monotonic using induction, show that it's bounded first, this will help you show it's monotonic.

This means lim x_{n-1} = lim x_n exists. The recursive definition and limit laws show that the limit, call it, x must satisfy the equation:

x=squareroot(3+x) or the quadratic
x^2-x-3, solve and deduce which solution is x.

SiddharthM said:
i'm not sure what a stable or equilibrium point is. You can show the sequence is bounded and monotonic using induction, show that it's bounded first, this will help you show it's monotonic.

This means lim x_{n-1} = lim x_n exists. The recursive definition and limit laws show that the limit, call it, x must satisfy the equation:

x=squareroot(3+x) or the quadratic
x^2-x-3, solve and deduce which solution is x.

I already know the limit. I'm having a hard time with the proof.

Caeder said:
I already know the limit. I'm having a hard time with the proof.

I gave you the outline of a rigorous proof.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x_2 < x_3 < 9 \\
\sqrt {x_2 } < \sqrt {x_3 } < 3 \\
3 + \sqrt {x_2 } < 3 + \sqrt {x_3 } < 6 \\
\underbrace {\sqrt {3 + \sqrt {x_2 } } }_{x_3 } < \underbrace {\sqrt {3 + \sqrt {x_3 } } }_{x_4 } < \sqrt 6 \\
x_3 < x_4 < 9 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Now I show it from the [tex]k+1[/tex] term? Not exactly sure how. But does that look right?

show x_3 is less than 3, then assume x_n is less than 3. what can you say then?

x_{n+1}=root(3+x_n)<root(3+3)<root(3+6)=3

done, so know x_n is bounded, now show it is monotonic.

x_n is positive for all n = {0,1,2,3,...}

[tex]x_{n + 1} = \sqrt {3 + x_n}[/tex] ==> [tex]x_{n + 1} > x_n[/tex] for all n

1. What is a recursive sequence?

A recursive sequence is a sequence in which the next term is defined by the previous terms in the sequence. This means that the value of each term depends on the value of the term that comes before it.

2. How do you prove the convergence of a recursive sequence?

To prove the convergence of a recursive sequence, you need to show that the sequence approaches a particular value as the number of terms increases. This can be done by finding a closed form expression for the sequence, or by showing that the sequence is bounded and monotonic.

3. What is a limit of a recursive sequence?

The limit of a recursive sequence is the value that the sequence approaches as the number of terms increases. This can also be thought of as the value that the sequence "converges" to.

4. How do you find the limit of a recursive sequence?

To find the limit of a recursive sequence, you can use the closed form expression for the sequence, if one exists. Otherwise, you can use a recursive formula to generate more terms of the sequence and observe the pattern to determine the limit.

5. What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a recursive sequence?

A sequence is said to converge if it approaches a single value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a sequence is said to diverge if it does not approach a single value, but instead grows without bound or oscillates between different values.