1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence that converges

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given this homework problem:

Show that if ##a_1,a_2, ... ,## is a sequence of real numbers that converges to ##a##, then [tex]lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{\sum^n_{k=1} a_k}{n}=a.[/tex]

I was provided a solution but my book never went over such examples or the concrete steps to solve such a problem. I am wondering what are the basic first steps to solving these types of problems?

And if possible, where can I find practice problems like these online? I searched but I couldn't find any.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hint:
    Remember that for every n, you may rewrite:
    [tex]na=\sum_{k=1}^{n}a[/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

There are various techniques for limit problems, but since this problem asks you to start with an arbitrary convergent sequence [itex](a_k)[/itex] the only one which will work is to use what you know about [itex](a_k)[/itex]: for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]K \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that if [itex]k \geq K[/itex] then [itex]a - \epsilon < a_k < a + \epsilon[/itex].

That suggests taking an arbitrary [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] and its corresponding [itex]K[/itex] and splitting the sum as follows:
    [tex]
    \frac1n \sum_{k=1}^n a_k = \frac1n \sum_{k=1}^{K-1} a_k + \frac1n \sum_{k=K}^n a_k
    [/tex]
    (You are interested in the limit [itex]n \to \infty[/itex], so at some stage you will have [itex]n > K[/itex] and you may as well assume that to start with.)

Your plan is to show that
    [tex]
    a - \epsilon \leq \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac1n \sum_{k=1}^n a_k \leq a + \epsilon
    [/tex]
    and since [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] was arbitrary it must follow that
    [tex]
    \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac1n \sum_{k=1}^n a_k = a
    [/tex]
    as required.

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would use ϵ/2 in one step instead of ϵ, that makes the inequalities easier to show.

6. Sep 29, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much, pasmith! That cleared some issues I had, thanks for clarifying it for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted