Sequences and functions homework help

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, a sequence is a series of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. To find the next number in a sequence, observe the pattern or rule and apply it to the previous numbers in the sequence. To determine the type of sequence, look for patterns in the differences between the numbers. If the differences are constant, it is an arithmetic sequence. If the ratios between the numbers are constant, it is a geometric sequence. To solve for a missing term in a sequence, use the pattern or rule to determine the relationship between the given terms and then use this relationship to find the missing term. Sequences can be used in real life to model and predict various phenomena, such as population growth, financial investments, and natural phenomena
JasonJo
let f,g be continuous functions from R to R and suppose that f(x)=g(x) for all rational points. prove that f(x)=g(x) for all x in R.
- i said that we know that since given any real number c, there exists a rational sequence (xn) such that xn converges to c, therefore we conclude that f(xn)=g(xn)=f(c)=g(c), and c is any real number, QED.
is this a good proof?

what about if we only knew that f(1/n)=g(1/n) for all n a natural number?
- i said we know that f(0)=g(0) since the sequence 1/n converges to 0, but other than that, not much else...am i missing something?

prove that for every c a real number, there exists a rational sequence converging to c.
- I am not sure how to prove this, my professor said to use the Nested Intervals Property, but I can't really establish the correct intervals

prove that for every c a real number, there exists an irrational sequence converging to c.
- again, not too sure about this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is a bit sparse. It's a good start, but you should really drive home the full definition of a continuous function, and what it means for a sequence to converge to c. So you should say given an epsilon, we know there is some N such that all xn with n>N means |xn-epsilon|< x, and then use that with the definition of continuity.

EDIT: I note you're using a property in part 3, so you definitely should prove part 3 without using part 1 (I don't know how you would use part 1, but make sure you don't).

any help with the sequences part? i don't get how to apply Nested Intervals Property

One way is to consider an class of intervals [itex]I_n=(c-1/n,c+1/n)[/itex]. Then the infinite intersection of the [itex]I_n[/itex]s is c (is this what he calls the nested interval property?)

Now construct a sequence by taking (any) one rational number in each [itex]I_n[/itex] (there is one since the rationals are dense in R). Show that this sequence will converge to c.

Of course the same thing works by taking an irrational number in each [itex]I_n[/itex].

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a series of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule.

2. How do I find the next number in a sequence?

To find the next number in a sequence, observe the pattern or rule and apply it to the previous numbers in the sequence.

3. How can I determine the type of sequence?

To determine the type of sequence, look for patterns in the differences between the numbers. If the differences are constant, it is an arithmetic sequence. If the ratios between the numbers are constant, it is a geometric sequence.

4. How do I solve for a missing term in a sequence?

To solve for a missing term in a sequence, use the pattern or rule to determine the relationship between the given terms. Then, use this relationship to find the missing term.

5. How can sequences be used in real life?

Sequences can be used in real life to model and predict various phenomena, such as population growth, financial investments, and natural phenomena. They can also be used to create patterns in art and music.