Proving the Binomial Theorem for Natural Number Exponents using Induction

In summary, we discussed the geometric sequence tn = 2(-1)^n*(1/3)^n and its sums for the first 99 terms, the odd-numbered terms, and the even-numbered terms. We also simplified the general term to make the calculations easier and verified that the relationship between the sums of the odd and even-numbered terms equals the sum of the first 99 terms. Lastly, we looked at a proof using mathematical induction and found a non-inductive algebraic proof for a similar problem.
masterofthewave124
For the geometric sequence with tn = 2(-1)^n*(1/3)^n
(a) the sum of the first 99 terms
(b) the sum of the odd-numbered terms t1 + t3 + t5 +...+ t99
(c) the sum of the even-numbered terms t2 + t4 + t6 +...+ t98

so do i first maybe want to convert that into something simpler? why would they write it like that in the first place. a = -2/3, r = -1/3 so wouldn't
tn = (-2/3)(-1/3)^(n-1)?

anyways, after doing that, should i turn that equation into Sn = ?

how would i do b) and c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
masterofthewave124 said:
For the geometric sequence with tn = 2(-1)^n*(1/3)^n
(a) the sum of the first 99 terms
(b) the sum of the odd-numbered terms t1 + t3 + t5 +...+ t99
(c) the sum of the even-numbered terms t2 + t4 + t6 +...+ t98

so do i first maybe want to convert that into something simpler? why would they write it like that in the first place. a = -2/3, r = -1/3 so wouldn't
tn = (-2/3)(-1/3)^(n-1)?

anyways, after doing that, should i turn that equation into Sn = ?

how would i do b) and c)?
Yes, the general term can be written either way: or even as 2(-1/3)^n which I would consider simpler still. Now use the formula to find S99[/b].

For b and c, write out a few terms and see if you can't write those also as a geometric series with a different a and r.

ok, i got -1/2, -3/4 and 1/4 for a), b) and c) respectively...are these rounded numbers? simply because as n approaches infinity, the terms become more rational? i see that the relationship is the sum of the sums found in b) and c) equals the sum found in a) so i guess its correct (i..e -3/4 +1/4 =1/2). now what would be the sum of the reciprocals of the terms for the first 99 terms? for this one, a = -3/2 and r = -3 so Sn = (3/8)*((-3)^n-1) correct? but the sum this time is not a nice number, i get -6.44 x 10^46, can anyone verify that?

i have another question;

use mathematical induction to prove the following:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7200/induction2li.jpg

can this be restated as this:

n!/(n-0)!0! + n!/(n-1)!1! + n!/(n-2)!2! + n!/(n-r)!r! = 2^n?

how would i prove true for n = k+1?

i have
LS = 2^k + (k+1)!/(k+1-r)!r!
RS = 2^(k+1)

are those correct and if so, where do i go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhmmm, not pretty sure if it can be Proven by Induction. However, if you notice that 2n = (1 + 1)n, and use the Bonimial Expansion, the problem works out nicely. :)
----------
And no, it should not be -1/2, -3/4, and 1/4 for the firstproblem. They are all rounded up, it should be some rounding error with the calculator. -1/2 is the sum of the series as n tends to infinity, not for n = 99.
So:
[tex]t_n = 2 \times \left( - \frac{1}{3} \right) ^ n[/tex]
[tex]S_n = \sum_{k = 1} ^ n t_n[/tex]
So the sum of the first 99 terms of the series is:
[tex]S_{99} = -\frac{2}{3} \times \frac{\left( - \frac{1}{3} \right) ^ {99} - 1}{- \frac{1}{3} - 1} = -\frac{2}{3} \times \frac{ - \frac{1}{3 ^ {99}} - 1}{- \frac{4}{3}} = \frac{1}{2} \times \left( - \frac{1}{3 ^ {99}} - 1 \right)[/tex]
You can just do the same for b, and c.
Can you go from here? :)

masterofthewave124 said:
ok, i got -1/2, -3/4 and 1/4 for a), b) and c) respectively...are these rounded numbers? simply because as n approaches infinity, the terms become more rational? i see that the relationship is the sum of the sums found in b) and c) equals the sum found in a) so i guess its correct (i..e -3/4 +1/4 =1/2). now what would be the sum of the reciprocals of the terms for the first 99 terms? for this one, a = -3/2 and r = -3 so Sn = (3/8)*((-3)^n-1) correct? but the sum this time is not a nice number, i get -6.44 x 10^46, can anyone verify that?

i have another question;

use mathematical induction to prove the following:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7200/induction2li.jpg

can this be restated as this:

n!/(n-0)!0! + n!/(n-1)!1! + n!/(n-2)!2! + n!/(n-r)!r! = 2^n?

how would i prove true for n = k+1?

i have
LS = 2^k + (k+1)!/(k+1-r)!r!
RS = 2^(k+1)

are those correct and if so, where do i go from here?

Find a non-inductive algebraic proof of [k,r] +[k,(r-1)] = [(k+1),r]. This shouldn't be too difficult, just simplify and bring everything under one denominator.

After you get that result, the rest is easy.

[tex]2^{(k+1)} = 2(2^k) = 2 \sum_{r=0}^{k}[r,k] = 2S(k)[/tex]

Where S(k) represents the summation. Expand out the summation term-wise and instead of simply multiplying by two, write it in the form S(k) + S(k). Add in a "staggered" fashion - the second term of the left hand sum to the first of the right hand sum and use the previously proven result to simplify. The remaining two terms can be expressed in a similar fashion to fit in with the form of the series. You will find that the result is of the required form S(k+1), proving the result.

This, in fact, is how you would go about proving the Binomial Theorem for natural number exponents using induction. I'm simply adapting the method to this. BTW, I don't think you can assume the Binomial Theorem and just write down the answer as VietDao suggests, I believe the question is asking for a more involved proof like the one I've suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Proving the Binomial Theorem for Natural Number Exponents using Induction

1. What is a sequence in math?

A sequence in math is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the pattern or rule used to create the sequence is called the sequence's formula.

2. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you must first identify the pattern or rule used to create the sequence. Then, you can use this pattern or rule to find the next term by applying it to the previous term in the sequence. For example, if the sequence is 1, 4, 7, 10, the pattern is adding 3 to each term. So, the next term would be 10 + 3 = 13.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence where each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. In contrast, a geometric sequence is a sequence where each term is obtained by multiplying a constant value to the previous term. For example, in the arithmetic sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, the constant value is 2. In the geometric sequence 3, 6, 12, 24, the constant value is 2.

4. How do you find the sum of a sequence?

To find the sum of a sequence, you can use either the arithmetic or geometric sum formula. For an arithmetic sequence, the formula is (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference. For a geometric sequence, the formula is a((1-r^n)/(1-r)), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers, while a series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence together. For example, the sequence 1, 2, 3 has a sum of 6, which is the series for this sequence.

Back