Series either converges or diverges

• Thread starter v0id19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{n!}{n^n}} and the attempted use of the Comparison Test and Limit Comparison Test. It is determined that the series diverges, with the suggestion of using the Ratio Test for simplification. Additionally, it is shown that the series \frac{1}{n^n} diverges using the nth term test for divergence.
v0id19

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{n!}{n^n}}[/tex] converges or diverges.

Homework Equations

The Comparison Test
The Limit Comparison Test

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it diverges, and i tried [tex]a_n=\frac{n!}{n^n}[/tex] and [tex]b_n=\frac{1}{n^n}[/tex] for the limit comparison test, but it gave me infinity which is useless. I also tried the comparison test saying [tex]a_n=\frac{n!}{n^n} \ge b_n=\frac{1}{n^n}[/tex] but i don't know how to prove that [tex]\frac{1}{n^n}[/tex] diverges

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you learned of the Ratio Test yet? It would simplify this problem greatly.

Otherwise, just to show that [tex]\frac{1}{n^{n}}[/tex] diverges, that can be re-written as [tex]n^{-n}[/tex] which would not equate to zero using the nth term test for divergence, therefore it DOES diverge.

I haven't looked at your other work yet, but if all you needed was to prove that 1/n^n diverges then there you go!

Last edited:

FAQ: Series either converges or diverges

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in a series?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a series, which is a sequence of numbers added together. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value and instead tends towards infinity.

2. How can you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, including the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the significance of a series converging or diverging?

The convergence or divergence of a series is important because it tells us whether the sum of the terms in the series has a finite value. Convergent series have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, while divergent series can be used in areas such as number theory and mathematical analysis.

4. What are some common examples of convergent and divergent series?

Some common examples of convergent series include the geometric series, the telescoping series, and the p-series. Examples of divergent series include the harmonic series, the alternating harmonic series, and the factorial series.

5. Can a series both converge and diverge?

No, a series cannot both converge and diverge. A series can only have one of these two behaviors. However, there are certain series that are known as conditionally convergent, meaning they converge under some conditions and diverge under others.