Series/Function Proof (Complex Numbers)

In summary, the problem is to show that the series 1 + e^i(2pik/n) + e^i(4pik/n) + ... + e^i[(2n-2)pik/n) = 0, where n and k are both natural numbers and n does not divide k. The conversation discusses various approaches to solving this problem, such as using Euler's formula and the concept of n-th roots of unity. Eventually, the conversation concludes that the sum can be represented as a geometric series and is therefore equal to 0.
moo5003
Problem: (I don't have latex/mathtype for this sorry in advance)

Let n,k both be in the Natural Numbers

n does not divide k (I have already completed the case when it does)

Show that the series:

1 + e^i(2pik/n) + e^i(4pik/n) + ... + e^i[(2n-2)pik/n) = 0

Using eulers formula e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x) I used to prove that the above series ='s n if n divides k. I'm having some trouble starting on if n does not divide k. I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction as to were to look. I've done a few examples (n=2) etc and shown that it will equal 0 for all odd k (as n cannot divide k) in such a case, though I'm not totally sure I should be using an induction argument for higher cases of n. (didnt use n=1 since it divides all k).

I'm thinking the proof ties into roots of unity since you can use cos(2pi/n) + isin(2pi/n) to construct the n-th roots of unity. Anyways, thanks for any help you can provide :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you just want to sum the series

[tex]1 + \zeta + \zeta^2 + \zeta^3 + \cdots + \zeta^{n-1},[/tex]

where [itex]\zeta[/itex] is an n-th root of unity?

Yes, except each term is to the power k in the natural numbers as well. I have to show that for all k such that n does not divide k the series ='s 0 and for n dividing k it equals n. I have shown the latter and looking for help on the prior.

I'm reading my book and it seems that the I must show that if n does not divide k then the arguments are just shifts of 2pi from the principal arguments between (-pi, pi]. Does this seem like a good way to tackle the problem? Only problem with this I forsee is that even if I show that if n does not divide k then every root of unity is summed together if I can just show that it must be 0 in this case. I'll think about it more.

Edit: I just realized this forum is not for homework, if you could move this thread I would appreciate it. I misread the labels obviously. Sorry for the mishap. (This is a homework problem)

Last edited:
[tex]\zeta = e^{2 \pi i k / n}[/tex]

is a perfectly good n-th root of unity.

I don't follow the approach you suggest. I guess I'm confused about what you mean by "principal arguments". Arguments of what? And why are they shifts of 2 pi?

I do think you're overthinking the problem, though.

Last edited:
Well, I understand that no matter what natural number you multiply it will end up being a n-th root of unity. The problem I'm having is when you add each root of unity, how do I know they are going to sum to zero? When n divides k each term becomes the root of unity 1 and therefore the sum ='s n. But if n does not divide k the series becomes a summation over different (maybe even every) root of unity which I must prove to sum to zero.

Arguments are just reference to the angle of the root of unity. Usually the principal arguments are in the interval (-pi,pi] though obviously you can add 2pi and still have the same argument. I'm thinking by showing that if n divides k then each n-th root of unity is distinct with arguments shifted by some integer K*2pi and by summing all possible n-th roots of unity you get 0.

Overall, I'm a little lost on how to start the proof which may be the reason for my overthinking possible ways of approaching a method of showing the sum to be 0.

It is true that the terms in this sequence consist of all of the (n / gcd(k, n))-th roots of unity, each repeated gcd(k, n) times. That's actually a rather useful fact to know. But that's by far the hard way.

Maybe it will help if you forget for a moment that you're trying to prove the sum is zero, and forget whatever context in which this question arose.

Think of this question as an exercise unto itself: what is the sum of

[tex]1 + \zeta + \zeta^2 + \zeta^3 + \cdots + \zeta^{n-1}?[/tex]

Last edited:
K, I proved the sum of the roots of unity are 0.

namely, the roots of unity are roots of x^n -1 = 0 and the sum of every root is equal to b/-a = 0/-1 = 0. (Polynomial theorem I made a lemma).

Thus the sum of the above is 0 since those are the roots of unity.

I'm still having trouble taking that case into the case where each root is to the k power.

0th root + 1st*k root + 2nd*k root...
=
0th root + 1st*k root (mod n) + 2nd*k root (mod n)...
was how I was trying to do it, since by powering each term by k you simply change the order in steps of k instead of 1. I found that this doesn't actually hit every root though, since for example k = 6, n = 10

You have the sum:

0th root + 6th root + 2th root + 8th root + 4th root + 0th root...

Thus I'm still unsure how to prove the overall problem, though I think I'm closer :P.

That sum is a geometric series.

Thanks for the help, the geometric series gives far greater insight in the mechanics of the problem from a rigorous proof standpoint.

The problem can be seen as a geometric series of the k-th(mod n) root of unity from 0 to n-1. So the limit is:

0/(1-e^(2piK/n) hince equals 0 assuming n does not divide k. If n does divides k then the limit is 0 as proved prior and the above is undefined.

Thanks again Hurkyl, I don't think I would have noticed the geometric series representation as I was more focused on the graphic obviousness when dealing with roots of unity that their sum must go to 0 even with steps of k.

Last edited:

1. What is a series/function proof?

A series/function proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series or function. It involves using mathematical concepts and principles to show that a series or function follows a specific pattern or rule.

2. How do complex numbers play a role in series/function proofs?

Complex numbers are used in series/function proofs because they allow for a more thorough and precise analysis of the behavior of a series or function. They can help identify patterns and relationships that may not be apparent when using only real numbers.

3. What is the process for proving a series/function using complex numbers?

The process for proving a series or function using complex numbers involves breaking down the series or function into smaller, simpler components and then using complex number operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to manipulate and analyze these components. The resulting analysis can then be used to make conclusions about the convergence or divergence of the original series or function.

4. Can series/function proofs using complex numbers be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, series/function proofs using complex numbers can be applied to real-world problems, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to analyze and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

5. What are some common examples of series/function proofs using complex numbers?

Some common examples of series/function proofs using complex numbers include proving the convergence of geometric series, using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to prove analyticity of a complex function, and using the residue theorem to evaluate complex integrals.