Prove: Sum of Series Equals e^2 - e

Always pay attention to the details...In summary, the given expression can be simplified to (e^2 - 1) - (e - 1), which is equivalent to the Maclaurin series for e^2 - e. However, it is important to note that the expression is not the entire Maclaurin series, as it lacks the initial term of 1. Paying attention to these details is crucial in mathematical proofs.
lionely

Homework Statement

Prove the following result:
\frac{1}{1!} + \frac{1+2}{2!} + \frac {1+2+2^2}{3!} ... = e2 - e

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please give me a hint on what to do . I tried writing out the maclaurin series for e^2 and e but don't know what to do with them.

(also why won't the latex work for me?)

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Could someone please give me a hint on what to do . I tried writing out the maclaurin series for e^2 and e but don't know what to do with them.

The numerators are a geometric sum.

lionely said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Mentallic has already provided a hint - find an expression for the ##k##th term and put it in summation notation to make it clearer.

And to format in LaTex, you have to enclose the text within tex tags like this (quote my post to see):

[tex]\frac{1}{1!} + \frac{1+2}{2!} + \frac {1+2+2^2}{3!} ... = e^2 - e[/tex]

or you can use the dollar sign shorthand notation like so:

$$\frac{1}{1!} + \frac{1+2}{2!} + \frac {1+2+2^2}{3!} ... = e^2 - e$$

Is the nth term, [1 + 2^(n-2) + 2^(n-1)]/n! ?

lionely said:

Seems to work for n=3 but why don't you try other values of n?

Mentallic already gave you the pattern for the numerator. How do you find the sum of that pattern?

lionely said:

No, the nth term is

[tex]\frac{1+2+2^2+2^3+...+2^{n-1}}{n!} = \frac{2^0+2^1+2^2+2^3+...+2^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

Mentallic said:
No, the nth term is

[tex]\frac{1+2+2^2+2^3+...+2^{n-1}}{n!} = \frac{2^0+2^1+2^2+2^3+...+2^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2^{n+1}- 1}{n!}[/tex]

lionely did you not notice that the numerators are 1, 1+ 2= 3, 1+ 2+ 4= 7, 1+ 2+ 4+ 8= 15, 1+ 2+ 4+ 8+ 16= 31, etc., all one less than a power of two?

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]= \frac{2^{n+1}- 1}{n!}[/tex]

Actually,

[tex]\frac{2^n-1}{n!}[/tex]

Would this be proving it , if I find the series for e^2 and e^1 and just add them? Because with the nth term I don't see how to show that is e^2 -e

Can you apply the geometric sum formula for each numerator?

What would the common ratio be , 2?

Yes. You should brush up on geometric sums because by this point it's assumed that you can spot them and apply the rules correctly without hassle.

I'm sorry but I'm still confused, I tried grouping the terms that are powers of two, but all the denominators are different. So how would I go about finding the sum to infinity of that?

Show me what you have so far.

so the series is (1/1!) + (1+2/2!) + (1+2+2^2/3!) ... right?

so I tried grouping the 2's like this

(1/1!) + (1/2!) +(3/3!) + 2(1/2! + 2/3! + 2^2/4! ...)

No, you're going about this all wrong.

We have

[tex]\frac{1}{1!}+\frac{1+2}{2!}+\frac{1+2+2^2}{2!}+\frac{1+2+2^2+2^3}{3!}+...+\frac{1+2+2^2+...+2^{n-1}}{n!}+...[/tex]

Now we need to apply the geometric sum formula to each numerator. 1+2+22 can be simplified using the formula. 1+2+22+23 can be simplified. etc.

What is 1+2+22 equivalent to using the formula?

1/(1-2) ? also I just remembered just this only work if |r|<1?

lionely said:
1/(1-2) ? also I just remembered just this only work if |r|<1?

That obviously can't be right. Does

[tex]1+2+2^2=\frac{1}{1-2}[/tex]

?

You're thinking of infinite geometric summations, while we are dealing with finite sums. Just google geometric sum, read a little about it and it should all come back to you.

Oh geometric sum, I kept thinking about summing to infinity. Um it would be (2^3-1)/2-1

Okay so basically we end up with (1/1!) + (3/2!) + (7/3!) + (15/4!) ... (2^[n-1]/n!)

But I'm sorry I still can't see how this will shape up to be e^2 -e! :(

Ok good, so can you now simplify each numerator in the expression

[tex]\frac{1}{1!}+\frac{1+2}{2!}+\frac{1+2+2^2}{2!}+\frac{1+2+2^2+2^3}{3!}+...+\frac{1+2+2^2+...+2^{n-1}}{n!}+...[/tex]

edit: Leave the numerator in terms of the result you get from the geometric sum.

Since

[tex]1+2+2^2+...+2^{n-1}=2^n-1[/tex]

by the geometric sum formula, we have the expression above equal to

[tex]\frac{2^1-1}{1!}+\frac{2^2-1}{2!}+\frac{2^3-1}{3!}+...+\frac{2^n-1}{n!}+...[/tex]

Does this make sense? Can you figure out what to do now?

Oh I see, I'm an idiot. Thanks for helpign me realize, sigh sigh sigh... sigh. the 2 are e^2 and the -1s are e...

therefore the Sum to Infinity is e^2 -e. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

You're still missing something though.

[tex]e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}=\frac{x^0}{0!}+\frac{x^1}{1!}+...=1+\frac{x}{1!}+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...[/tex]

Notice the 1 value at the start of the sum. Since the expression you were given doesn't have that, we will have

[tex]\left(\frac{2^1}{1!}+\frac{2^2}{2!}+...\right)-\left(\frac{1}{1!}+\frac{1}{2!}+...\right)=\left(e^2-1\right)-\left(e-1\right)=e^2-e[/tex]

You'd lose marks for jumping straight to the answer or at least not realizing that it wasn't the entire Maclaurin series.

What is the formula for the sum of series?

The formula for the sum of series is: S = a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... + ar^(n-1) = a(1 - r^n)/(1 - r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

How do you prove the sum of series equals e^2 - e?

To prove that the sum of series equals e^2 - e, we can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, S = a/(1 - r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, a = 1 and r = 1/e. Substituting these values into the formula gives us: S = 1/(1 - 1/e) = e^2 - e.

What is e^2 - e?

e^2 - e is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of an infinite geometric series with a first term of 1 and a common ratio of 1/e. It is also known as the Euler's Sum, and it approximates the value of 1.718281828459045.

What is the significance of e^2 - e?

The significance of e^2 - e lies in its connection to the mathematical constant e, also known as Euler's number. This constant is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and complex analysis, and it has important applications in science and engineering.

Can the sum of series equal a negative value?

No, the sum of series cannot equal a negative value. The formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series only applies when the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. If the common ratio is greater than 1, the series will diverge to infinity, and if the common ratio is equal to -1, the series will alternate between positive and negative values, never reaching a specific sum.