Sum of 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses the sum of a series consisting of an arithmetic progression and a geometric progression. The general term is determined to be na^(n-1) and several methods are suggested to find the sum, including using calculus and simplifying the expression to a geometric sum. The importance of testing the formula with a transcendental number is also mentioned.
lionely

Homework Statement

Sum the series 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms

This series consists of an a.p. (with general term n) and gp general term a^(n-1)

right?

So the series general term is na^(n-1)

So is the sum the sum of each progression times each other?

i.e (1-a^n)/(1-a) * (n(n+1)/2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

Sum the series 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms

This series consists of an a.p. (with general term n) and gp general term a^(n-1)

right?

So the series general term is na^(n-1)

So is the sum the sum of each progression times each other?

i.e (1-a^n)/(1-a) * (n(n+1)/2) ?

No. Hint: What is the derivative of ##x + x^2 + x^3+ x^4 ...##?

The derivative would be 1 + 2x + 3x^2 ..., so are you saying I should integrate that series? to make it into a g.p with common ratio umm a?

I'm suggesting you think about how you can use that fact to work your problem.

Another way, longer, but that doesn't require calculus, is to consider the sum of the following geometric series:

##\displaystyle S_1 = 1 + a + a^2 + ... a^{n-1} ##

##\displaystyle S_2 = ~~~~~~~a + a^2 + ... a^{n-1} ##

##\displaystyle S_3 = ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~a^2 + ... a^{n-1} ##

##\displaystyle ...##

##\displaystyle S_{n} = ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~a^{n-1} ##

Well I got this

Sn = 1 + 2a + 3a^2 + 4a^3 ...+ (n-1)a^(n-2) + na^(n-1)

aSn = a + 2a^2 + 3a^3 ...+ (n-1)a^(n-1) + na^n

Subtracting the sums

Sn(1-a) = 1 + a + a^2 + a^3 ...+ a^(n-1) - na^n

Sn(1-a) = 1 + (1-a^n)/(1-a) - na^n ( summed the G.P.)

Sn = (1-a^n)/(1-a) + (1-a^n)/(1-a)^2Is this like what you wanted me to do with the differential sum? and Curious I don't really get your way :(

lionely said:
Well I got this

Sn = 1 + 2a + 3a^2 + 4a^3 ...+ (n-1)a^(n-2) + na^(n-1)

aSn = a + 2a^2 + 3a^3 ...+ (n-1)a^(n-1) + na^n

Subtracting the sums

Sn(1-a) = 1 + a + a^2 + a^3 ...+ a^(n-1) - na^n

Sn(1-a) = 1 + (1-a^n)/(1-a) - na^n ( summed the G.P.)

Sn = (1-a^n)/(1-a) + (1-a^n)/(1-a)^2

Is this like what you wanted me to do with the differential sum? and Curious I don't really get your way :(

EDIT: There is an error in your working. Check your geometric sum in the second last step.

Yes, this is a neat way to do it so good on you. I've done it your way before, but for some reason, it escaped my brain today.

The way I suggested in my post would've been much longer, but basically each of those series are geometric sums. Add them up and you get the series in question. If you do the algebra and add up the expressions for each geometric sum, they will simplify.

LCKurtz's suggestion (I think) was to get a compact expression for the geometric sum, then differentiate it wrt a.

Three ways, which will all give what you got.

BTW, you can simplify your expression a little (once you correct your error). Try to get everything over a common denominator ##(a-1)^2##.

Last edited:
This method i used should work if I try to sum

1 + 4(1/2) + 7(1/2)^2 + ... 28(1/2)^9 right?

I keep trying but I keep getting the wrong answer!

Never mind it worked ! I'm just an idiot.

lionely said:
Never mind it worked ! I'm just an idiot.

Yes, I hope you corrected the error in your expression. A good way to test a general formula like this is to put in a value to 3 terms and try it out. But don't use a "nice value", like 2, 3 or even 1/2 or whatever. The safest way is to use something like ##\pi##. This is what I did to test my answer. When you put in a transcendental number there is no way to get the sum working out just so by "accident".

Oh okay thanks for the advice!

lionely said:
Is this like what you wanted me to do with the differential sum? and Curious I don't really get your way :(

Curious3141 said:
LCKurtz's suggestion (I think) was to get a compact expression for the geometric sum, then differentiate it wrt a.

Yes. ##a + a^2 + a^3 +...+a^n = \frac{a-a^{n+1}}{1-a}##. Then differentiate both sides.

1. What is the formula for the sum of a series with the form 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms?

The formula for the sum of a series with the form 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms is n(n+1)a/2. This formula is known as the sum of an arithmetic series and is derived from the general formula for the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence.

2. How do you find the sum of a series with the form 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms?

To find the sum of a series with the form 1 + 2a + 3a2 + ... to n terms, you can use the formula n(n+1)a/2 or you can use the method of finite differences. This method involves finding the differences between consecutive terms in the series, then using those differences to find the sum.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic series and a geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a series where each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term, while a geometric series is a series where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number. In an arithmetic series, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in a geometric series, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

4. How can you use the sum of a series formula to solve real-world problems?

The sum of a series formula can be used to solve real-world problems involving arithmetic or geometric sequences. For example, if you know the first term, the common difference or ratio, and the number of terms in a sequence, you can use the formula to find the sum of the series. This can be useful in financial applications, such as calculating compound interest or depreciation, as well as in other fields such as physics, where sequences and series are used to model real-world phenomena.

5. Can the sum of a series formula be used for infinite series?

No, the sum of a series formula cannot be used for infinite series. This is because an infinite series has an infinite number of terms, so it is not possible to find the exact sum using a finite formula. However, some infinite series can be approximated using techniques such as the method of finite differences or by using calculus methods such as integration.