How can I solve the sum of this series without differentiation?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation for the sum \sum\limits_{n = 0}^{n - 1} {nr^n }, with the suggestion of using the geometric series or differentiating. It is also mentioned that the index n is doing double duty and that the terms in the geometric series can be manipulated to look like kr^k. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using a double sum or thinking of it as a sum of geometric series.
jamjar
Hi,
I've come across this series and I'm not sure in which direction I should be looking to get an equation for the sum. I've tried some simple methods but have come up blank.
[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 0}^{n - 1} {nr^n }[/tex]
Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it look like another series you know? Can you find some way to relate the two?

BTW: Your index is n, but you are summing to n-1. So n is doing double duty. I suppose you mean:
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}kr^k[/tex]

Perhaps the geometric series?

Last edited:
I can't see how to relate the two.
The extra multiplication by k is making it difficult.

Okay, here's where my ignorance about the contents of a pre-calculus class may come into play, but...the terms in the geometric series have [itex]r^k[/itex]. Is there anything, some operation, you can do to each of the [itex]r^k[/itex] terms to make it look like more or less [itex]kr^k[/itex]?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I could differentiate perhaps?
I'm not sure what operations I can use within the summation.

jamjar said:
I could differentiate perhaps?
That's a good idea!
What'd you get if you differentiate a geometric sum?

Well, I worked it out from there.
I just wasn't expecting to get any differentiation in pre-calc.
Thanks for the help :smile:

You can do it without differentiation if you like. Write it as a double sum and swap order of summation. You could also think of this as writing it as a sum of geometric series (all of different lengths).

1. What is a series?

A series is a sequence of numbers that are added together in a specific order.

2. How do you solve the sum of a series?

To solve the sum of a series, you need to add all the numbers in the series together. This can be done manually or with the help of mathematical formulas or computer programs.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series?

The formula for finding the sum of a series is S = n/2 (a + l), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms in the series, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

4. Can you explain the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a series in which each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. A geometric series is a series in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. In other words, the pattern in an arithmetic series is addition, while the pattern in a geometric series is multiplication.

5. How do you know if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite number as the number of terms increases, but instead goes to infinity or negative infinity.