Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set A consisted of all even natural numbers

1. Feb 14, 2004 #1
    If set A consisted of all even natural numbers (i.e. 2, 4, 6...) and set B consisted of all odd natural numbers (i.e. 1, 3, 5...), then what is the result set of:

A intersection B

Would it just be the empty set since no two natural numbers can be even and odd?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, exactly. An element is in "A intersect B" if and only if it is in both A and B. There is no integer that is "both" even and odd and so, in this case, A intersect B is empty. That's a very common occurence. In fact there's a special name for it: the two sets are "disjoint".

4. Feb 14, 2004 #3
    Yes it should be null set

5. Feb 14, 2004 #4
    I was kind of nervous when I was taking a test on this material because the question was to list at least three elements that were in the following sets, and one of those following sets was A intersection B. Guess it had to be a typo on the test. Hopefully I didn't read the question wrong. If I remember right, I'm very sure that A and B were natural number sets. Ah well.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?