Set A consisted of all even natural numbers

In summary, the result set of A intersection B would be the empty set since no two natural numbers can be both even and odd. This is a common occurrence and the two sets are considered disjoint. It is possible that there was a typo on the test if the question asked to list elements in A intersection B, as there would be no elements in this set.
Caldus
If set A consisted of all even natural numbers (i.e. 2, 4, 6...) and set B consisted of all odd natural numbers (i.e. 1, 3, 5...), then what is the result set of:

A intersection B

Would it just be the empty set since no two natural numbers can be even and odd?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, exactly. An element is in "A intersect B" if and only if it is in both A and B. There is no integer that is "both" even and odd and so, in this case, A intersect B is empty. That's a very common occurence. In fact there's a special name for it: the two sets are "disjoint".

Yes it should be null set

I was kind of nervous when I was taking a test on this material because the question was to list at least three elements that were in the following sets, and one of those following sets was A intersection B. Guess it had to be a typo on the test. Hopefully I didn't read the question wrong. If I remember right, I'm very sure that A and B were natural number sets. Ah well.

Thanks.

Related to Set A consisted of all even natural numbers

1. What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are the counting numbers starting from 1 and increasing by 1 without any limit. They include all positive integers from 1 onwards.

2. What does "even" mean in this context?

In mathematics, an even number is any integer that is divisible by 2. This means that when divided by 2, the result is a whole number without any remainder.

3. Does set A include 0?

No, set A consists of all even natural numbers starting from 2. 0 is not considered an even number.

4. What is the cardinality of set A?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. In this case, the cardinality of set A is infinite since there is no limit to the number of even natural numbers.

5. Can you provide an example of an element in set A?

Yes, some examples of elements in set A are 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc. These are all even natural numbers that are greater than 1.