What is the Set Cardinality Conjecture?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a conjecture regarding the cardinality of the collection of all subsets of a given infinite cardinal. The conjecture is that the cardinality of this collection is equal to the given infinite cardinal, and there are attempts to prove this using different approaches such as the Continuum Hypothesis and transfinite induction. The final conclusion is that the assertion is true if the given infinite cardinal is a regular cardinal.
mathboy
Well, it's a conjecture to me because I don't know (yet) if it's true or false.

Let |A|=n, where n is an infinite cardinal. Let B be the collection of all subsets of A with cardinality less than n. Then |B|=n. Is it true first of all? And will the proof be short or long?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let n = aleph i. The collection of ALL subsets subsets of A has cardinality 2^n = aleph(i+1). Thus by the Continuum Hypothesis, |B|< aleph(i+1) <= aleph i = n. Clearly, n<=|B|. So your conjecture is true.

Did you want to prove it without appealing to the Continuum Hypothesis? I'm not fully convinced by my proof either. Perhaps try transfinite induction.

Edit: Try this: A = {a_i|i in I}, where |I|=n. Well-order I, and let f:B->A^m, given by f(S)=(a_i1, a_i2, ... ), where a_i1 < a_i2 < ... and m < n. Clearly, f is injective, so |B|<= mn. We know that mn=n, so you are done (since n<=|B|). I think this works. The result (aleph i)^(aleph j) = aleph i if j<i was used.

Edit: You must sum up over all m such that m < n. So its back to using aleph0, aleph1, ..., aleph (i-1) again (Continuum hypothesis). The sum will be be (aleph0)n+(aleph1)n+...+(aleph(i-1))n = n+n+...+n = n. I can't get out of the Continuum hypothesis.

Edit: This proof also only works if |A|=aleph i for some integer i. It doesn't work if i itself is infinite.

Let me think of using transfinite induction, which doesn't rely on integers.

Last edited:
andytoh said:
Thus by the Continuum Hypothesis, |B|< aleph(i+1)
How do you know |B| is less than aleph(i+1)?

It's easy to construct a counterexample if you assume CH is false.

Suppose that [itex]\mathbb{N} \subseteq A[/itex] and [itex]|\mathbb{N}| < |A| < 2^{|\mathbb{N}|}[/itex]. Then [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{N}) \subset B[/itex], giving [itex]|A| < 2^{|\mathbb{N}|} \leq B[/itex].

Your right. CH is required. Here's my attempt at a proof using transfinite induction, avoiding the use of integer indices for alephs (and not mentioning alephs at all):

Let A={x_i|i in I}, where |I|=n. Well-order I. Let I_0 be the set of all elements of I such that the collection B(I_0) of all subsets of A (with cardinality less than |A|) with elements indexed by I_0 satisfies |B(I_0)|<=|A|. Suppose S_i is a subset of I_0, where S_i is the section of I less than i. Then the collection of new subsets created by introducing x_i is
{K U {x_i}| K belongs to B(I_0)}
which clearly has the same cardinality as B(I_0) (the obvious bijection being K<->K U {x_i}). So then we have
|B(I_0 U {i})| <= |B(I_0)| + |B(I_0)| = |B(I_0)| <= |A|
Thus a belongs to I_0 so by Transfinite Induction we have I_0 = I. Consequently |B|=|B(I)|<=|A|. Since |A|<= |B| is already true, then |B|=|A|. How's that? This proof does not rely on the aleph index of |A|.

Last edited:
There are enough problems with the presentation that I can't figure out what you're trying to do (e.g. your definition of I_0 is circular). Given that... nothing you've said is obviously inapplicable to computing the actual power set, so I suspect there's a serious error in there.

What's a correct proof then?

Last edited:
Aha, I've finally dug up the information I need for a disproof.

References:
. The wikipedia article on cofinality.
. The PlanetMath article on http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/CardinalExponentiationUnderGCH.html

(I'm assuming the axiom of choice)

Suppose that n is a singular cardinal, meaning cf(n) < n.

Let C be a set with cardinality n
Let D be a subset of C with cardinality cf(n)
Let A = CxC.

We have an injective map

[tex]\varphi: C^D \to B[/tex]

given by

[tex]\varphi(f) = \left\{ \, (d, f(d)) \mid d \in D \, \right\}.[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]|B| \geq \left| C^D \right| = |C|^{|D|} = n^{\mathrm{cf}(n)} > n = |A|.[/tex]

However, if I further assume GCH, then I can prove the conjecture when n is a regular cardinal:

[tex]
|B| \leq \sum_{m < n} |A|^m = \sum_{m < n} n^m = \sum_{m < n} n
= n \cdot n = n = |A|
[/tex]

(I'm not sure how essential choice and GCH are to these conclusions)

The two main points in these calculations are:

. The cardinality of the set of subsets of A of cardinality m should be n^m.
. For m < n, when do we have n^m = n, and when do we have n^m > n?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurkyl said:
The cardinality of the set of subsets of A of cardinality m should be n^m.
This is true if m,n are any cardinal numbers? (n=|A|)
Or is it just bounded by n^m?

Last edited:
mathboy said:
This is true if m,n are any cardinal numbers? (n=|A|)
Or is it just bounded by n^m?
Well, for infinite n.

I think the trick I used in my disproof works to prove my conjecture: (and I hope you won't mind me being a little sloppy)

Assume the axiom of choice.

Let n be an infinite cardinal
Let m be a cardinal less than or equal to n
Let [itex]\mathcal{P}_m(S)[/itex] denote the set of subsets of n with cardinality m.

There is an injective map [itex]n^m \to \mathcal{P}_m(m \times n)[/itex] that sends each function to its graph.

There is an injective map [itex]\mathcal{P}_m(n) \to n^m[/itex] that sends each set to an enumeration.

Therefore, [itex]n^m = |\mathcal{P}_m(n)|[/itex].

Again, I don't know how essential the axiom of choice is in this theorem.

Last edited:
So the assertion is true if |A| is a regular cardinal.

I'm still trying to get a correct proof by transfinite induction. I'm following the recipe for transfinite induction: First I let Let A={x_i|i in I}, where |I| is a regular cardinal. In transfinite induction, we well-order I and let I_0 be a subset of I. We are supposed to show that if whenever the section s_i is a subset of I_0, then i is in I_0, then the principle of transfinite induction states that I_0 = I. Ok, so my I_0 definition in post #5 had circular problems. What should I define I_0 to be so that the conclusion I_0 = I would complete the proof?

My original attempt:
Let A={x_i|i in I}, where |I|=n. Well-order I. Let I_0 be the set of all elements of I such that the collection B(I_0) of all subsets of A (with cardinality less than |A|) with elements indexed by I_0 satisfies |B(I_0)|<=|A|. Suppose S_i is a subset of I_0, where S_i is the section of I less than i. Then the collection of new subsets created by introducing x_i is
{K U {x_i}| K belongs to B(I_0)}
which clearly has the same cardinality as B(I_0) (the obvious bijection being K<->K U {x_i}). So then we have
|B(I_0 U {i})| <= |B(I_0)| + |B(I_0)| = |B(I_0)| <= |A|
Thus a belongs to I_0 so by Transfinite Induction we have I_0 = I. Consequently |B|=|B(I)|<=|A|. Since |A|<= |B| is already true, then |B|=|A|.

Last edited:
It sounds like it would be hard to write a direct proof, since the conclusion of your proof has to be that |B|=|A| when |A| is regular, and |B|>|A| when |A| is singular. But then, I've never actually used cofinality before, so I don't know how easy or hard it is to use.

Specific problems with the definition of I_0 you gave before was:
(upon review, circular wasn't the right term)

. As you stated it, indicated you were going to list the property that the elements of I_0 were going to satisfy, but instead gave a property that I_0 must satisfy.
. So, I thought maybe you meant to define I_0 axiomatically... however, there is not a unique set satisfying the condition you gave.
. So, I thought maybe you meant for I_0 to be the largest such set... but you have not demonstrated that there is a largest one!

(e.g. Zorn's lemma doesn't immediately apply, because the condition |B(X)| < n describes an 'open' collection of sets. Given a chain of sets satisfying such a condition, their supremum might satisfy |B(sup X)| = n)

Have you considered building I_0 via transfinite recursion, rather than trying to explicitly state it at the beginning of your proof?

Last edited:

What is the Set Cardinality Conjecture?

The Set Cardinality Conjecture is a mathematical conjecture that states that for any set A, the cardinality (number of elements) of the power set of A is strictly greater than the cardinality of A itself.

Who proposed the Set Cardinality Conjecture?

The Set Cardinality Conjecture was first proposed by Georg Cantor, a German mathematician, in the late 19th century.

What evidence supports the Set Cardinality Conjecture?

The Set Cardinality Conjecture has been proven to be true for finite sets, as well as for certain infinite sets such as the natural numbers. Additionally, it is consistent with other well-established principles in mathematics, such as the Axiom of Choice.

Are there any counterexamples to the Set Cardinality Conjecture?

No counterexamples to the Set Cardinality Conjecture have been found, and many mathematicians believe it to be true. However, the conjecture has not been proven and remains an open problem in mathematics.

Why is the Set Cardinality Conjecture important?

The Set Cardinality Conjecture has implications in various fields of mathematics, including set theory, topology, and analysis. It also has applications in computer science and physics. Proving or disproving the conjecture could lead to a better understanding of the nature of infinity and the structure of sets.