Set of non-invertible matrices is unbounded

In summary, the set of non-invertible matrices is unbounded because for any norm used, there exists a non-invertible matrix with a norm greater than any given bound.
Tigers64
Question:
How do I prove the set of non-invertible matrices is unbounded?

Attempt:
Let A be an element of set of non-invertible matrices.
det(A)=0
det(A)=0 is just the line y=0 if you have det(A) as the y-axis and the set of non-invertible matrices on the x-axis. y=0 is unbounded, so the set of non invertible matrices is unbounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tigers64 said:
the set of non-invertible matrices on the x-axis
For this to make any sense at all, "the set of non-invertible matrices on the x-axis" would have to be a subset of "the set of real numbers"...

How do I prove the set of non-invertible matrices is unbounded?
Let's start with an easier question: can you find a non-invertible matrix whose norm is bigger than 10?

(p.s. what norm are you using?)

I guess the problem is that I don't know which norm to use, so I used det as the norm. How do you define a norm for matrices other than the det function?

How do you define a norm for matrices other than the det function?
There are infinitely many different norms you can define for matrices, several of which are in common use. This is a question I cannot answer for you -- you will have to check your homework problem / textbook / class notes to find out what norm you're supposed to be using.

(Incidentally, det isn't a norm. And even if it was, then the set of all non-invertible matrices would be bounded with respect to it)

Hurkyl said:
There are infinitely many different norms you can define for matrices, several of which are in common use. This is a question I cannot answer for you -- you will have to check your homework problem / textbook / class notes to find out what norm you're supposed to be using.

(Incidentally, det isn't a norm. And even if it was, then the set of all non-invertible matrices would be bounded with respect to it)
Since every non-invertible matrix has determinant 0, it would be very bounded!

What does it mean for a set of non-invertible matrices to be unbounded?

It means that the set contains an infinite number of elements and there is no upper limit to the size or magnitude of these elements. In the case of non-invertible matrices, this means that the determinant of these matrices is equal to 0 and therefore they do not have an inverse.

Why is it important to study the set of non-invertible matrices?

Studying the set of non-invertible matrices can provide insights into the properties and behavior of matrices in general. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

What are some examples of non-invertible matrices?

Some examples include matrices with all 0 entries, singular matrices, and matrices with linearly dependent rows or columns. Additionally, any matrix with a determinant of 0 is considered non-invertible.

How does the unboundedness of the set of non-invertible matrices affect matrix operations?

Since the set is unbounded, there is no limit to the size or magnitude of the matrices within the set. This means that operations such as addition, multiplication, and inversion may not be possible for certain matrices within the set, making it important to understand its properties.

Is the set of non-invertible matrices always unbounded?

Yes, the set of non-invertible matrices is always unbounded. This is because there is no limit to the size or magnitude of these matrices, and for every matrix with a determinant of 0, there are infinite variations of that matrix with different values in its entries.