Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of non-invertible matrices is unbounded

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    Question:
    How do I prove the set of non-invertible matrices is unbounded?

Attempt:
    Let A be an element of set of non-invertible matrices.
    det(A)=0
    det(A)=0 is just the line y=0 if you have det(A) as the y-axis and the set of non-invertible matrices on the x-axis. y=0 is unbounded, so the set of non invertible matrices is unbounded?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For this to make any sense at all, "the set of non-invertible matrices on the x-axis" would have to be a subset of "the set of real numbers"....

Let's start with an easier question: can you find a non-invertible matrix whose norm is bigger than 10?

(p.s. what norm are you using?)

4. May 3, 2009 #3
    I guess the problem is that I don't know which norm to use, so I used det as the norm. How do you define a norm for matrices other than the det function?

5. May 3, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are infinitely many different norms you can define for matrices, several of which are in common use. This is a question I cannot answer for you -- you will have to check your homework problem / textbook / class notes to find out what norm you're supposed to be using.

(Incidentally, det isn't a norm. And even if it was, then the set of all non-invertible matrices would be bounded with respect to it)

6. May 3, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since every non-invertible matrix has determinant 0, it would be very bounded!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook