What is the definition of supremum and how can it be used to compare sequences?

In summary, the sequence \left\{x_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty} can have a supremum if and only if for all k there exists a y_m such that x_n\leq y_m.
Somefantastik
My question involves supremums and their implications:

say I have the sequences [itex]\left\{x_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/itex] and [itex]\left\{y_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/itex]

and I know [itex]sup \left\{x_{k}:k\in N \right\} \leq sup \left\{y_{k}:k\in N \right\} [/itex]

What can I say about the sequence [itex]\left\{x_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/itex]?

Can anyone suggest a text or website that goes into detail about supremums and how to use them? All my Analysis books just announce the definition of a supremum and move on, but I'd like to see a little more exposition, especially with what can be done with two sets correlated by their sups or infs as above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can probably say that for all [itex]x_n[/itex], there exists an [itex]y_m[/itex] such that [itex]x_n\leq y_m[/itex]. Is this what you wanted??

Just read all the proofs involving sups and infs, you'll see soon enough what you can do with them :smile:

Somefantastik said:
My question involves supremums and their implications:

say I have the sequences [itex]\left\{x_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/itex] and [itex]\left\{y_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/itex]

and I know [itex]sup \left\{x_{k}:k\in N \right\} \leq sup \left\{y_{k}:k\in N \right\} [/itex]

What can I say about the sequence [itex]\left\{x_{k}\right\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/itex]?

Can anyone suggest a text or website that goes into detail about supremums and how to use them? All my Analysis books just announce the definition of a supremum and move on, but I'd like to see a little more exposition, especially with what can be done with two sets correlated by their sups or infs as above.

Nothing can be said about the sequences ,because they may both be vibrating over different fixed points without converging to any limits .

If however both,for example are increasing to their least upper bounds then we can say:

[itex]lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} x_{k}\leq lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}y_{k}[/itex]

TO get an idea as to the richness of the unexplorable fields concerning supremums and infemums,consider the following.

Let X,Y be a set of positive real Nos bounded from above. Then define : X+Y, X.Y , [itex]\sqrt X[/itex] , [itex]X^n[/itex] ,nεN ,and try to find their supremums.

Not to forget of course that the whole theory of integral calculus is based on the definitions of supremums and infemums.

Of the outermost importance is a correct and proper definition .

1. What is a set of sequences?

A set of sequences is a collection of ordered lists of numbers or objects. Each sequence in the set follows a specific pattern or rule.

2. What is a supremum?

A supremum, or least upper bound, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to every number in a set. It is often denoted as sup(S) for a set S.

3. How is a supremum related to a set of sequences?

In a set of sequences, the supremum is the smallest upper bound for each individual sequence. It represents the highest value that each sequence in the set can reach.

4. Can a set of sequences have more than one supremum?

Yes, a set of sequences can have multiple supremums if there are multiple sequences within the set that have the same highest value. In this case, each supremum would be considered the least upper bound for its respective sequence.

5. What is the difference between a supremum and a maximum?

A supremum is the smallest upper bound for a set, while a maximum is the largest element in a set. A set may not have a maximum, but it will always have a supremum.