Comparing T/F for Three Sets: A, B & C

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the problem presented is to determine the truth or falsity of three statements involving sets and cartesian products. The typical method for proving set equalities is to choose an arbitrary element and show that it belongs to both sides of the equality. The conversation also includes an example of this method and a reminder that cartesian product elements are pairs of elements.
EvLer
Here is this problem I actually don't know how to approach:

which of the following are T/F for all sets A, B, C
a. A U (B x C) = (A U B) x (A U C)
i think this one is false, i worked it out on a small example
b. A x (B intersection C) = (A x B) intersection (A x C)
c. A x (B x C) = (A x B) x C

where the "x" is cartesian product.
Any idea how to approach this systematically or just a helpful explanation is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The typical method for proving set equalities is to choose some arbitrary element of one side of the equality call it x then show that because of it belonging to one side, and the properties of unions, intersections, and cartesian products that it belongs to the other side of the equality. This shows that the first side is a subset of the second, so to prove them equal you need to show that the second side is also a subset of the first by using the same method.

I'll give you an example.
Let's say I want to prove that

[tex] A \cap (B \cup C) = (A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C) [/tex]
Then I want to start with
[tex] let \ x \ \epsilon \ A \cap (B \cup C) [/tex]
then
[tex] x \ \epsilon \ A \ and \ x \ \epsilon B \cup C[/tex]
from that I know that
[tex] x \ \epsilon A \ and \ ( x \ \epsilon B \ OR \ x \ \epsilon C ) [/tex]
Which means that
[tex] x \ \epsilon \ A \cap B \ OR \ x \ \epsilon \ A \cap C[/tex]
And so
[tex] x \ \epsilon \ (A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C) [/tex]

this proves that [tex] A \cap (B \cup C) \subset (A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C)[/tex]

And to finish the proof I would just need to start with some other arbitrary element, say y, is in ( A intersect B) U (A intersect C) and perform the same procedure to show that this is a subset of A intersect ( B U C) then since each side is a subset of the other they must be equal, and the proof would be complete.

Note that when doing a proof like this witha cartesian prodcut to remeber that the elements of a cartesian product are pairs of elements (x, y) so that if this was a member of the cartesian product X x Y then x is an element of X and y is an element of Y.

Last edited:

FAQ: Comparing T/F for Three Sets: A, B & C

1. How do you compare three sets, A, B, and C?

To compare three sets, A, B, and C, you must first identify the elements that belong to each set. Then, you can use various methods such as Venn diagrams, truth tables, or set notation to compare the sets and determine their similarities and differences.

2. What is the purpose of comparing three sets?

The purpose of comparing three sets is to analyze their relationships and identify any common elements or differences between them. This can help in data analysis, problem-solving, and decision making in various fields such as mathematics, science, and business.

3. How do you determine if a statement is true or false for three sets?

To determine if a statement is true or false for three sets, you can use a truth table which lists all possible combinations of elements in the sets and their corresponding truth values. If the statement is true for all combinations, then it is true for the three sets. If it is false for any combination, then it is false for the three sets.

4. Can you compare more than three sets at a time?

Yes, you can compare more than three sets at a time by using the same methods mentioned earlier, such as Venn diagrams or truth tables. However, as the number of sets increases, the complexity of the comparison also increases.

5. How is comparing three sets beneficial in real-life scenarios?

Comparing three sets can be beneficial in various real-life scenarios, such as market analysis, medical research, and social studies. For example, comparing the characteristics of three different market segments can help in identifying the target audience for a product. Similarly, comparing the symptoms and treatments for three diseases can aid in finding the most effective treatment. In social studies, comparing the cultural practices of three different societies can provide insights into their similarities and differences.