Books on Set Theory: Recommendations & Reviews

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for good books on set theory. Suggestions include Naive Set Theory by Halmos, Axiomatic Set Theory by Suppes, Theory of Sets by Kamke, and Hrbacek and Jech. It is also suggested to check out books on proofs, such as "Book of proof" by Richard Hammack or "How to prove it" by Velleman. The individual is looking for a rigorous book with practice problems to ensure understanding.
UncertaintyAjay
Could anyone recommend some good books on set theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Naive Set Theory by Halmos. :)

Likes UncertaintyAjay
Thanks, I'll check it out

how about Axiomatic Set Theory by Suppes or Theory of Sets by Kamke. only the one by suppes has problems though.

Hrbacek and Jech is very good, and covers a lot of stuff. But if you only want the basics, a book on proofs may be sufficient, for example "Book of proof" by Richard Hammack or "How to prove it" by Velleman. (I know that the former is good, and there's a free online version if you want to check it out. I'm not familiar with the latter, but it seems to be very popular).

Last edited:
Nah, I want somwething that is pretty rigorous. And I'll check out the one with the problems, I find that they help me know if I've understood the content. Thanks very much

1. What is set theory and why is it important?

Set theory is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics and has applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and physics.

2. What are some recommended books for learning set theory?

Some popular books on set theory include "Naive Set Theory" by Paul R. Halmos, "The Joy of Sets" by Keith Devlin, and "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen. These books are highly recommended for both beginners and advanced readers.

3. Can you recommend a book that uses real-world examples to explain set theory?

"Sets for Mathematics" by F. William Lawvere and Robert Rosebrugh is a great book that uses real-world examples to explain set theory. It covers topics such as functions, relations, and cardinality in a clear and engaging way.

4. Are there any books on set theory that are suitable for self-study?

Yes, "A Book of Set Theory" by Charles C. Pinter is a great self-study resource for learning set theory. It is written in a conversational style and includes many examples and exercises to help readers grasp the concepts.

5. What are some reviews from readers for books on set theory?

Many readers have praised "Naive Set Theory" by Paul R. Halmos for its clear explanations and concise writing style. "The Joy of Sets" by Keith Devlin has also received positive reviews for its engaging approach and use of real-world examples. "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen is highly recommended for its comprehensive coverage and challenging exercises.