1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory books

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    Could anyone reccommend some good books on set theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3
    Naive Set Theory by Halmos. :)

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4
    Thanks, I'll check it out

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5
    how about Axiomatic Set Theory by Suppes or Theory of Sets by Kamke. only the one by suppes has problems though.

7. Nov 9, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrbacek and Jech is very good, and covers a lot of stuff. But if you only want the basics, a book on proofs may be sufficient, for example "Book of proof" by Richard Hammack or "How to prove it" by Velleman. (I know that the former is good, and there's a free online version if you want to check it out. I'm not familiar with the latter, but it seems to be very popular).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  8. Nov 10, 2014 #7
    Nah, I want somwething that is pretty rigorous. And I'll check out the one with the problems, I find that they help me know if I've understood the content. Thanks very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted