Set theory cardinality question

In summary: If you allow the union to be uncountable, then you can take the union of all countably infinite subsets of the original set, which will give you back the original set. So, in summary, any infinite set can be written as the union of disjoint countable sets, as long as the union is allowed to be uncountable.
klabatiba
Can anyone please give a really explicit proof (omitting no steps) and with as simple words as possible that any infinite set can be writtern as the union of disjoint countable sets?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about something like this:

Every infinite set X has a countable subset (this is a theorem of ZFC). We'll construct a function f from an initial set of ordinals to disjoint countably infinite subsets of X such that X its range. Let f(0) be any countably infinite subset of [itex]X = X_0[/itex]. Then define [itex]X_{i+1} = X_i \setminus f(i)[/itex], [itex]X_i = \displaystyle{ \cap_{j<i} X_j}[/itex] for a limit ordinal i and let [itex]f(i)[/itex] is a countably infinite subset of [itex]X_i[/itex] (the possibility of making these choices collectively relies on the Axiom of Choice). The sequence must eventually end with a null set - otherwise, the set X would be larger than all cardinals.

Well, any set is a union of singletons containing exactly one element from the set. A union of all these singletons (which are finite thus countable) gives you that set.

I mention only that however the countable sets are constructed, the union must consist of an uncountable number of those sets.

--Elucidus

Well, obviously, countable sets cannot be expressed as an uncountable union of disjoint countable sets (assuming by countable you mean countably infinite, or at least non-empty).

1. What is the definition of cardinality in set theory?

Cardinality in set theory refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the size or quantity of a set, and is denoted by the symbol |A|, where A is the set.

2. How is the cardinality of a set determined?

The cardinality of a set is determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the set. This means that if there are repeating elements in a set, they are only counted once in the cardinality.

3. Can two sets have the same cardinality?

Yes, two sets can have the same cardinality if they contain the same number of elements. For example, the sets {1, 2, 3} and {a, b, c} both have a cardinality of 3.

4. What is the cardinality of the empty set?

The cardinality of the empty set, denoted by ∅ or {} is 0. This is because the empty set contains no elements, hence there is nothing to count.

5. How does the concept of cardinality relate to infinite sets?

Infinite sets have a concept of "infinity" as their cardinality. This means that they have an uncountable number of elements and cannot be put into one-to-one correspondence with a finite set. For example, the set of all real numbers has a greater cardinality than the set of all natural numbers.