1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set theory, intersection of two sets

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the set D which consists of x, where x is a prime number. We also have the set F, which consists of x, belongs to the natural numbers (positive numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5..) that is congruent with 1 (modulo 8). What numbers are in the intersection of these two sets?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the set F consists of numbers that when divided by 8 gives the remainder 1. So, 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, and so on. The set D is prime numbers. So: 2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 and so on. I am to find the numbers that are in both of these sets. But how can I do this? I have no idea except for making a long list of numbers and matching them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would have to be a very very long list. The number of primes of the form 8k+1 is known to be infinite. I don't know any nice form to express the intersection besides that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted