Set Theory Proof: Proving Accumulation Point is Interior/Boundary

In summary, the statement is asking to prove that an accumulation point of a set S can only be either an interior point or a boundary point of S. This can be shown by assuming the contrary and using contradiction, showing that any point in the exterior of S cannot be an accumulation point.
dgonnella89

Homework Statement

I have been asked to prove the following statement:
An accumulation point of a set S is either an interior point or a boundary point of S.

Here is my attempt at a solution:
I started from the definition of accumulation points:
A point is an accumulation point ([tex]x_0[/tex]) when [tex] \forall\epsilon > 0, N_{\epsilon}'(x_0)\capA\neq[/tex]empty set

By using the definition of a deleted neighborhood:
[tex](N_\epsilon(x_0)-\{x_0\})\capA\neq[/tex]empty set

so [tex]\forall a \in S' a\inN_\epsilon(x_0), a \notin\{x_0\}, a \inA[/tex]and that's as far as I got. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of all your notation but what would happen if [tex]x_{0}[/tex] were not contained in [tex]S[/tex] or its boundary? Specifically, what would the intersections of sufficiently small neighborhoods of [tex]x_{0}[/tex] with [tex]S[/tex] be?

It appears you are speaking of relative deleted neighborhoods. I.e. [tex]N'_\epsilon(x_0) = \{x \in S-\{x_0\}: |x-x_0| < \epsilon \}[/tex].

The last line in the original post unfortunately is not syntactically well formed. What was the intended meaning? Was it close to:

[tex]\forall a \in S' a \in N_\epsilon(x_0), a \notin \{x_0\}, a \in A[/tex]? (Modified from OP)

Recommendation: Attack this by contradiction. You are asked to show that an accumulation point of S must either lie in the interior of S or on its boundary. The only other possible place it could be is in its exterior (the complement of the closure of S). I'd start with:

"Assume otherwise. Let x be an accumulation point of S that lies in the exterior of S..." and show this leads to contradiction. (Hint: think closed vs. open sets).

--Elucidus

Given a set S, every point, p, in the "universal set" is either an interior point of S (there is a neighborhood of p contained in S) or an exterior point of S (there is a neighborhood of p that contains no point of S) or a boundary point of S (neither of the above is true). To show that such a point is "either an interior point or a boundary point of S" means to show it is NOT an exterior point of S. You must show that every neighborhood of the point contains at least one point in S.

Related to Set Theory Proof: Proving Accumulation Point is Interior/Boundary

1. What is Set Theory Proof?

Set Theory Proof is a mathematical method used to formally prove the validity of statements or theorems about sets. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that a statement is true.

2. What is an Accumulation Point in Set Theory?

An Accumulation Point, also known as a limit point, is a point in a set that is surrounded by an infinite number of other points in the set. It is a point where a sequence of points in the set converges.

3. How do you prove that an Accumulation Point is an Interior Point?

To prove that an Accumulation Point is an Interior Point, we need to show that the point is contained within the set, and that there is a neighborhood around the point that is also contained within the set. This can be done by using the definition of an interior point and the properties of open sets.

4. How do you prove that an Accumulation Point is a Boundary Point?

To prove that an Accumulation Point is a Boundary Point, we need to show that the point is contained within the set, and that every neighborhood around the point contains points both within and outside the set. This can be done by using the definition of a boundary point and the properties of open and closed sets.

5. Why is it important to prove that an Accumulation Point is an Interior/Boundary Point?

Proving that an Accumulation Point is an Interior or Boundary Point is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a set. It also allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of a set and its elements, which can be useful in various fields such as topology, analysis, and geometry.