1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sets & limit points and stuff

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    The question says:

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a set and [itex]x[/itex] a number.
    Show that [itex]x[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex] if and only if there exists a sequence [itex]x_1 , x_2 , ...[/itex] of distinct points in [itex]A[/itex] that converge to [itex]x[/itex].

Now I know from the if and only if statement that I need to prove this thing both ways.

So, the proof in one direction (I think) would be that I have a limit point [itex]x\in A[/itex], and would need to construct a sequence that converges to [itex]x[/itex].
    Why are these things always easier said than done :confused: ?

One of the definitions in my book states:
    [itex]x[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex] if given any error [itex]1/n[/itex] there exists a point [itex]y_n[/itex] of [itex]A[/itex] not equal to [itex]x[/itex] satisfying [itex]|y_n -x|<1/n[/itex] or, equivalently, if every neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex] contains a point of [itex]A[/itex] not equal to [itex]x[/itex].

I feel like I can somehow use this definition, or at least the definition of Cauchy sequences to help with my proof. Only trouble is, I don't know what to do with what I have.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    you need the definition of convergence also
  4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    Cauchy is irelevant here. Use your defenition of limit point to select an element [itex] y_n [/itex] in A for each n. as n goes to infinity, [itex] y_n [/itex] goes to x since 1/n goes to zero. And you're done. (one way)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?