Setting browser to check for changes to a page?

• Thread starter superdave
  • Start date
In summary, there are two ways to automatically check a list of webpages and be notified of any changes. One option is to use the Chrome addon Page Monitor, which allows you to set the frequency of checks and receive notifications. The other option is to subscribe to the website's RSS feed, if available.
superdave
Is there a way to set a browser to automatically check a list of webpages once a day, then notify you if there is a change to that webpage?

Specifically, I'd like a program to check the employment page of about 50 different school districts each day and notify me if a job is posted.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used to use Page Monitor when I wanted to keep up with certain blogs that weren't setup for RSS.

It's a Chrome addon, so you'll obviously need Chrome. Then you simply visit the page, click the button, and you'll get notifications. I don't use it anymore, but I think there was a setting to set how often you want the changes to be checked.

An easier way would be to subscribe to their RSS feed, assuming they have one.

FAQ: Setting browser to check for changes to a page?

1. How do I set my browser to automatically check for changes to a webpage?

To set your browser to check for changes to a webpage, you can use a browser extension or add-on such as "Page Monitor" for Google Chrome or "Update Scanner" for Mozilla Firefox. These extensions allow you to specify which pages you want to monitor and how frequently you want them to be checked for updates.

2. Can I manually check for changes to a webpage without using an extension?

Yes, most browsers have a "Refresh" button that allows you to manually check for changes to a webpage. You can also use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + R" on Windows or "Command + R" on Mac to refresh the page.

3. How often should I set my browser to check for changes to a webpage?

The frequency at which you should check for changes to a webpage depends on how often the page is updated. If the page is frequently updated, you may want to set your browser to check for changes every few minutes. If the page is not updated often, you can set it to check every hour or even once a day.

4. Will setting my browser to check for changes to a webpage affect my browsing speed?

No, setting your browser to check for changes to a webpage will not affect your browsing speed. The browser will only check for changes when the page is loaded or refreshed, so it will not continuously monitor the page in the background.

5. Can I set my browser to check for changes to multiple webpages at once?

Yes, you can set your browser to check for changes to multiple webpages at once by adding them to your list of monitored pages in the browser extension or by manually refreshing each page. However, keep in mind that checking for changes on multiple pages may slow down your browsing experience.

Back