Setting up the correct limit for an area (double) integral

In summary, the question is asking for the area between the graphs of y = x^2 and y = x^3 for x non-negative. To find this area, we need to take the integral between the x-coordinates of the intersection points of the two graphs. When integrating, we take the absolute value of the answer to account for the fact that the limits are not in the usual order. Both methods of taking the integral, either from x^2 to x^3 or from x^3 to x^2, will result in the correct answer of 1/12.
hivesaeed4
I'm confused regarding the limits required for the following question:

Find the area in the plane between the graphs of y = x2 and y = x3 for x non-negative.

The limit for y would be from x^2 to x^3 but what about x? It's lower bound would be zero but as for the upper bound I have no idea. The answer of the above question comes out to be 1/12. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hivesaeed4 said:
I'm confused regarding the limits required for the following question:

Find the area in the plane between the graphs of y = x2 and y = x3 for x non-negative.

The limit for y would be from x^2 to x^3 but what about x? It's lower bound would be zero but as for the upper bound I have no idea. The answer of the above question comes out to be 1/12. Help?

You need to answe to

1) Where do the graphs of [itex]x^2\,,\,\,x^3\,\,,\,\,x\geq 0[/itex] meet?

2) What function's graph is over the other's in the interval between both points of intersection you found in (1)?

3) Now do the integral between both x-coordinates of the intersection points of the function above minus the function below, dx, and that's the area you're looking for.

DonAntonio

Thanks for the reply Don.
Now I just have another question. When we set up the integral, obviously we take the xlimits as x^2 to x^3 as generally x^3 is bigger then x^2. However in this case where we are to integrate from 0 to 1 this generalization fails us as x^2 is bigger than x^3. Now the question is that if we still integrate from x^2 to x^3 the area comes out to be -1/12 whch is plain wrong. We can do either one of the following two options:

1) Just take the absolute value of -1/12 and present 1/12 as our answer.

2) Or we set up our integral again from x^3 to x^2 in light that x^2 is bigger than x^3 and the answer is 1/12 which is correct.

Which path do we take or are both methods correct?

hivesaeed4 said:
Thanks for the reply Don.
Now I just have another question. When we set up the integral, obviously we take the xlimits as x^2 to x^3 as generally x^3 is bigger then x^2. However in this case where we are to integrate from 0 to 1 this generalization fails us as x^2 is bigger than x^3. Now the question is that if we still integrate from x^2 to x^3 the area comes out to be -1/12 whch is plain wrong. We can do either one of the following two options:

1) Just take the absolute value of -1/12 and present 1/12 as our answer.

2) Or we set up our integral again from x^3 to x^2 in light that x^2 is bigger than x^3 and the answer is 1/12 which is correct.

Which path do we take or are both methods correct?

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "...take the x-limits as x^2, x^3", or "integrate from x^2 to x^3" ...??

The limits are exactly what I told you in my first post (i.e., they are numbers!) of the difference [itex](x^2-x^3)\,dx[/itex] since, as you correctly

stated, in the unit interval the parabola's graph is above the cubic's.

DonAntonio

1. What is the purpose of setting a limit for an area integral?

The limit for an area integral helps define the boundaries of the region over which the integral is being evaluated. This ensures that the integral is being calculated over the correct area and that the results are accurate.

2. How do I determine the correct limits for an area integral?

The limits for an area integral are typically determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated. This could be represented by equations, graphs, or geometric shapes. It is important to carefully analyze the region and choose the correct limits to accurately calculate the integral.

3. Can the limits for an area integral be negative?

Yes, the limits for an area integral can be negative. This is often the case when the region being integrated over has negative coordinates or contains negative values. It is important to consider the direction and orientation of the region when determining the limits.

4. What happens if the limits for an area integral are incorrect?

If the limits for an area integral are incorrect, the resulting integral will also be incorrect. This can lead to inaccurate calculations and incorrect conclusions. It is important to carefully determine the limits to ensure the integrity of the integral.

5. Are there any special cases when setting limits for an area integral?

Yes, there are special cases where the limits for an area integral may be more complex. This could include regions with curved boundaries, overlapping regions, or regions with discontinuities. In these cases, it may be necessary to break up the integral into smaller parts and carefully determine the limits for each part.