Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up the correct limit for an area (double) integral

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    I'm confused regarding the limits required for the following question:

Find the area in the plane between the graphs of y = x2 and y = x3 for x non-negative.

The limit for y would be from x^2 to x^3 but what about x? It's lower bound would be zero but as for the upper bound I have no idea. The answer of the above question comes out to be 1/12. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

You need to answe to

1) Where do the graphs of [itex]x^2\,,\,\,x^3\,\,,\,\,x\geq 0[/itex] meet?

2) What function's graph is over the other's in the interval between both points of intersection you found in (1)?

3) Now do the integral between both x-coordinates of the intersection points of the function above minus the function below, dx, and that's the area you're looking for.

DonAntonio

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply Don.
    Now I just have another question. When we set up the integral, obviously we take the xlimits as x^2 to x^3 as generally x^3 is bigger then x^2. However in this case where we are to integrate from 0 to 1 this generalization fails us as x^2 is bigger than x^3. Now the question is that if we still integrate from x^2 to x^3 the area comes out to be -1/12 whch is plain wrong. We can do either one of the following two options:

1) Just take the absolute value of -1/12 and present 1/12 as our answer.

2) Or we set up our integral again from x^3 to x^2 in light that x^2 is bigger than x^3 and the answer is 1/12 which is correct.

Which path do we take or are both methods correct?

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "...take the x-limits as x^2, x^3", or "integrate from x^2 to x^3" ...??

The limits are exactly what I told you in my first post (i.e., they are numbers!) of the difference [itex](x^2-x^3)\,dx[/itex] since, as you correctly

stated, in the unit interval the parabola's graph is above the cubic's.

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook