Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Several questions involving a homemade miniature jet engine.

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1
    Hey guys. I am new to engineering and I came to this because I wanted to make my own miniature jet engine. I have a limited knowledge of physic but I wish to broaden it through this idea.
    Now I know that this was made before for RC models, but I want to actually make one so I understand how they work, and I decided to start here.
    Here are my questions:
    1. How exactly does a typical jet engine compressor work?
    2. I believe there are several types of compressors used in jet engines. If I want to make one for a small sized engine, say, about 20cm wide and 50cm long, which type of compressor works best, and which factors define it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2013 #2
    Can anyone help?

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    Try googling "designs for model jet engines" there seems to be a lot of information out there.

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4

RonL

Gold Member

6. Jan 18, 2013 #5
    5-minute jet engine
    anything beyond this is a matter of ingenuity, creativity, and tinkering (aka, engineering)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZskLP8Q7AY

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook