Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)

In summary, the conversation discusses testing a product for environmental conditions and asks for advice on which test would be more severe. The options given are Damp Heat Test at 85% R.H at either 85°C or 95°C, or a Water Immersion Test at 85°C at 1 meter depth. The speaker also mentions a routine Accelerated Life Test for electronic products and asks for clarification on the product being tested. The conversation ends with the speaker mentioning their plan to test WDM optical components quickly and mentions a link to a resource with a caveat about the test.
mjjabines
Hello All,

I'm currently testing a product for environmental test but i don't know what test do i conduct for this one.

I would like to ask your help if which is more severe environment.

1. Damp Heat Test (85°C / 85% R.H)
2. Damp Heat Test (85°C / 95% R.H)
3. Water Immersion Test (85°C at 1 meter depth)

And may i know why? thank you...

Engineering news on Phys.org
A routine "Accelerated Life Test" (ALT) for electronic products is 85% RH at 85C for 1000 hours, while powered-up and operating. This test finds problems with assembly methods, cleanliness, and "microclimates" (enclosed areas of the assembly where moisture can accumulate and not evaporate). If you have assembly cleanliness issues and enclosed microclimates (like inside potted assemblies), you can get dendritic growth/migration of copper between traces at different voltages, which eventually leads to the traces shorting out or opening.

I'm not familiar with a 95% RH test, nor a submersion test. What kind of product are you testing?

I'm planning to test WDM optical components quickly at severe environment to see its performance over time.

85% RH at 85C for 1000 hours is a routine test for us but they want a faster results.

http://theriac.org/DeskReference/viewDocument.php?id=61
Read the caveat at the bottom of the pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

Based on your question, it seems like you are trying to determine the most severe environmental condition for testing your product. In this case, the most severe condition would be the water immersion test at 85°C at 1 meter depth. This is because water immersion combines both high temperature and high humidity, which can accelerate the degradation of materials. Additionally, being submerged at a depth of 1 meter adds pressure and can further stress the product. However, it is important to note that the appropriate test conditions may vary depending on the specific materials and components of your product. It is always best to consult with a qualified testing expert to determine the most appropriate and accurate testing conditions for your product.

What is meant by "Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)"?

"Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)" refers to a testing condition in which a material or product is exposed to high temperatures (85°C) and high humidity (95%) or immersion in water. This type of testing is used to evaluate the durability and reliability of materials and products in harsh environmental conditions.

Why is "Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)" testing important?

This type of testing is important because it allows scientists to simulate extreme environmental conditions that a material or product may encounter in real-world situations. By subjecting materials to these harsh conditions, scientists can evaluate their performance and identify any weaknesses or potential failures.

What types of materials or products are typically tested under "Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)"?

Materials and products that are commonly tested under this condition include electronic components, coatings, adhesives, and packaging materials. These materials are often used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics, where exposure to high temperatures and humidity or water immersion may occur.

How is "Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)" testing conducted?

The testing is typically conducted in environmental chambers that can control the temperature and humidity levels to meet the specified conditions. The material or product is placed inside the chamber and exposed to the conditions for a predetermined amount of time. After the testing is complete, the material is evaluated for any changes or damage.

What are the benefits of "Severe Condition (85°C/95% or Water Immersion)" testing?

Some of the benefits of this type of testing include identifying potential failures in materials or products before they are used in real-world situations, improving product design and durability, and ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations. It can also help manufacturers make informed decisions about the materials and processes they use in their products.