Shaded Pole Motors: Old Electrical & Measuring Things

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of shaded pole motors, which are a type of self-starting, single phase motor. They have salient poles with a heavy copper ring, causing a lag in the magnetic field and producing a slight component of rotation. These motors have low starting torque and are commonly used in small fan motors. The conversation also mentions potential applications for shaded pole motors, such as in blower fans and small appliances. The participants express their lack of knowledge on the subject and share their plans to incorporate shaded pole motors into their projects. They also discuss potential designs for maximizing airflow, such as using a ducted propeller or a Kort nozzle.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm wanting to add some small motors to my Beauty of old electrical and measuring things etc. thread and was curious if anyone here is familiar with Shaded Pole Motors?

DamperMotors.jpg

Likes davenn
Engineering news on Phys.org
hey Don

They are something I have never heard of before ... had to google them to find out more :wink:Dave

I knew about shaded pole motors for small fans and record players,
A shorted turn around part of the core gives an out of phase flux which when added to main flux makes a rotating flux.
Another piece of sinewave magic. Euler was sure one heavy dude.

but i never saw a reversible one like described in that patent.

jim hardy said:
I knew about shaded pole motors for small fans and record players,
Thanks for this piece of information. Motors certainly aren't my forte. I'll need to look into record players.

They're easy to spot by the heavy copper shorted turn.

upload_2015-4-7_13-49-58.png

Prevalent in blower fans and small appliances.
Current in the shorted turn lags, making an out of phase flux.
imageevf.jpg

http://avstop.com/ac/apgeneral/typesofacmotors.html
The first effort in the development of a self-starting, single phase motor was the shaded pole induction motor (figure 9-85). This motor has salient poles, a portion of each pole being encircled by a heavy copper ring. The presence of the ring causes the magnetic field through the ringed portion of the pole face to lag appreciably behind that through the other part of the pole face. The net effect is the production of a slight component of rotation of the field, sufficient to cause the rotor to revolve. As the rotor accelerates, the torque increases until the rated speed is obtained. Such motors have low starting torque and find their greatest application in small fan motors where the initial torque required is low.
Shaded_pole_detail.jpg

Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
A shorted turn around part of the core gives an out of phase flux which when added to main flux makes a rotating flux.

That's a mouthful ... too much flux in there :wink:

jim hardy said:

View attachment 81645

Prevalent in blower fans and small appliances.
Current in the shorted turn lags, making an out of phase flux.

That's outstanding, Jim !

Have seen those copper links so often over the years and never knew their purpose

As with Don's comment ... motors are also not my fortedave

jim hardy said:
Yes...they...are. Thanks for educating me. I pulled this out of one of my piles. It WILL become beautiful. :oldtongue:
tobebeautiful.jpg
From your link (bold by me)
... Such motors have low starting torque and find their greatest application in small fan motors where the initial torque required is low.

Which explains the damper motors gear train.

lowtorque.jpg

dlgoff said:
I pulled this out of one of my piles. It WILL become beautifu

That'd look cool with an old wood model airplane propeller . Engineer's fan...

jim hardy said:
That'd look cool with an old wood model airplane propeller . Engineer's fan...
Good call. :bow: Any design experience as to getting "good" airflow? You know, working well is one of my design task. :oldbiggrin:

jim hardy said:
Kort_nozzle.png
Perfect.
1428967914_thumb_up.png

1. What is a shaded pole motor?

A shaded pole motor is a type of single-phase AC induction motor that is commonly used in small appliances and devices. It gets its name from the shading coils, which are copper rings placed around a portion of the poles of the motor. These coils create a magnetic field that helps to start the motor and keep it running.

2. How does a shaded pole motor work?

Shaded pole motors operate on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current is provided to the motor, the shading coils create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the permanent magnets in the stator, causing the rotor to turn. The motor continues to rotate as long as the alternating current is supplied.

3. What are the advantages of a shaded pole motor?

Shaded pole motors have a simple and compact design, making them cost-effective and easy to manufacture. They also have a high starting torque and can operate at a wide range of speeds. Additionally, they do not require any starting switches or capacitors, reducing the potential for failure and maintenance costs.

4. What are the limitations of shaded pole motors?

One of the main limitations of shaded pole motors is their low efficiency. They also have a low power factor, meaning they draw more current than necessary from the power supply. This can lead to higher energy costs. Shaded pole motors also have a limited operating range and are not suitable for high-power applications.

5. How are shaded pole motors used in electrical and measuring devices?

Shaded pole motors are commonly used in small appliances such as fans, blowers, and refrigeration units. They are also used in measuring devices such as watt-hour meters and wattmeters. In these devices, the motor drives the rotating element that measures the electrical energy consumption or power usage. Shaded pole motors are ideal for these applications due to their low cost and compact size.