Understanding Universal Motors in Power Tools: 2 Pole vs. 4 Pole Explanation

• Thread starter K S Somanadha Sastry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of universal motors in power tools and the difference between 2 pole and 4 pole motors. It is mentioned that more poles result in higher available torque. The conversation also suggests reading an article for more information.
K S Somanadha Sastry
Hi i recently completed my mechanical engineering and was interested in studying how power tools work! when i did some survey i came to know that they work on the basis of universal motor usually. So now the question rises whether it is a 2 pole or a 4 pole? what will happen if its is 2 pole and what will if it is a 4 pole? can anyone help me in giving answer oriented to application(power tool)
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, more poles will result in higher available torque. There is less angular distance between one magnetic peak, and the next. You may be interested in this article . http://www.shelleys.demon.co.uk/fjun04va.htm

What is a universal motor?

A universal motor is a type of electric motor that can run on either AC or DC power. It is commonly used in power tools due to its compact size and high power output.

What is the difference between a 2 pole and 4 pole universal motor?

A 2 pole universal motor has two magnetic poles, while a 4 pole universal motor has four magnetic poles. This means that a 2 pole motor completes one full rotation for every cycle of the alternating current, while a 4 pole motor completes one full rotation for every half cycle.

Which type of universal motor is better for power tools?

It depends on the specific application. A 2 pole motor is generally better for high-speed applications, while a 4 pole motor is better for high-torque applications. Power tool manufacturers will choose the appropriate motor based on the desired performance of the tool.

How does the number of poles affect the speed and torque of a universal motor?

The number of poles affects the speed and torque by changing the motor's synchronous speed. A 2 pole motor will have a higher synchronous speed and lower torque, while a 4 pole motor will have a lower synchronous speed and higher torque.

Can a universal motor with a different number of poles be used in a power tool?

Yes, but it may affect the tool's performance. Using a 2 pole motor in a tool designed for a 4 pole motor, or vice versa, may result in a decrease in speed or torque. It is important to use the motor specified by the manufacturer for optimal performance.