1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar Exercise 1.1.3 (Vector Spaces)

1. Apr 13, 2017 #1
    <Mentor's note: moved from a technical forum, therefore no template.>

I'm long out of college and trying to teach myself QM out of Shankar's.
    I'm trying to understand the reasoning here because I think that I am missing something...

1) Do functions that vanish at the endpoints x=0 and L=0 form a vector space?
    2) How about periodic functions? obeying f(0)=f(L) ?
    3) How about functions that obey f(0)=4 ?

If the functions do not qualify, list what go wrong.

The first 2 questions seem straight forward. X and L go to zero, and outside those boundaries you would get the null vector. If the function is periodic, you are certain to return a vector in the f(x).

#3 is tripping me up. I thought of an example function... lets say f(x)=x+4, so f(0)=4.
    How is this not a vector space?

I was told that if g(x) and h(x) were in the set of f(x), g(0)+h(0)=8 which is not 4.

I do understand how this proves anything? What am I misunderstanding?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm long out of college and trying to teach myself QM out of Shankar's.
    I'm trying to understand the reasoning here because I think that I am missing something...

1) Do functions that vanish at the endpoints x=0 and L=0 form a vector space?
    2) How about periodic functions? obeying f(0)=f(L) ?
    3) How about functions that obey f(0)=4 ?

If the functions do not qualify, list what go wrong.

The first 2 questions seem straight forward. X and L go to zero, and outside those boundaries you would get the null vector. If the function is periodic, you are certain to return a vector in the f(x).

#3 is tripping me up. I thought of an example function... lets say f(x)=x+4, so f(0)=4.

I was told that if g(x) and h(x) were in the set of f(x), g(0)+h(0)=8 which is not 4.

I do understand how this proves anything? What am I misunderstanding?

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I do understand how this proves anything? What am I misunderstanding? It said f(0)= 4, not f(x)=4. In my head 8 would be an acceptable answer.

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your working shows that you perhaps lack a good enough grasp of linear algebra and formal mathematics. You seem to be confused between an individual function (such as ##f(x)##) and a vector space, which is an infinite set of functions. Normally, you would denote a vector space by ##V## and have something like ##V## is the set of functions that vanish on the endpoints.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. Apr 13, 2017 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well for 3) it's not closed under addition, take two functions with f(0)=g(0)=4, does h(x)=f(x)+g(x) satisfy this condition?

6. Apr 15, 2017 #5
    3 is a collection of functions all satisfying ##f(0)=4 ##. These functions can't form a vector space over ##\mathbb R ## (or ##\mathbb C## for that matter), because ##2f(0)=8\neq 4##. There is no homogeneity.

7. Apr 15, 2017 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The way the question is worded might be confusing you. In each case, you have a set of functions, and the question is asking you if this set along with the usual definitions of adding functions and multiplying by a scalar satisfy the requirements of being a vector space. So first, you have to know all of the conditions required of a vector space. There's probably a list in the book, or if not, you can check Wikipedia.

What you wrote here doesn't make sense. For the first question, let ##V = \{f\ |\ f(0)=0\text{ and }f(L)=0\}##, and let ##f, g \in V##. The fact that ##f## is an element of ##V## means you know that ##f(0)=0## and ##f(L)=0##. Likewise for ##g##. One of the conditions of a vector space is that of closure under addition. In other words, the function ##f+g## should also be in ##V##. So you can check to see if ##(f+g)(0)=0## and if ##(f+g)(L)=0##. If this is the case, then the function ##(f+g) \in V##. It turns out that's true because ##(f+g)(0) = f(0)+g(0) = 0+0 = 0## and ##(f+g)(L) = f(L)+g(L) = 0+0 = 0##. So ##V## is closed under addition.

You have to verify all of the other requirements before concluding ##V## is a vector space.

Given the explanation above, do you now understand why set 3 isn't closed under addition?

8. Apr 15, 2017 #7
    For each of the cases 1), 2) and 3) you will have a set of functions (probably infinite number, but it doesn't effect the problem). To show that they form a vector space ##V##, you have to show that for all members of the set, the conditions in Definition 1 are satisfied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted